• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Routes

Started by Michal Rzecznik, May 19, 2014 23:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

Hello.

I found difficulties to get proper routes for DH8D.
I use mostly vroute, but routes there are for jets (FL300+) and its hard to find something at FL240 or FL250.
Have you consider creating routes database for intercity pilots?
It happen few times for me that route has been about 20% or more overhead, so it was almost impossible to fly it with schedule, especially with headwind.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Hi Michal

Have you tried some of the suggested route planners in the sticky topic here?

http://viaintercity.com/forums/general-discussion/flight-planning-and-routing-resources/

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

yes, I tried.
Finally I always find route for me but it take a lot of time.
I use skyVector to find route and then validate it, change to fitful restrictions, validate, change again...  somtimes is really neverending :P

Chris Liu (1001)

The European airspace harmonisation programme means that all airspace above FL195 is Class C or A, so most routes for jet aircraft should be valid down to that flight level (and it's rare to operate the Q400 below FL200).

In many cases the high altitude and low altitude routes are the same, you just remove the U prefix from the airways (e.g. UG376 becomes U376. The U stands for Upper air rorute, once removed you get the equivalent lower altitude airway if it exists).

Some time ago we did give consideration to creating our own route database, but have decided against it for now since we don't have the necessary resources nor are we likely to significantly improve on the free offerings already available. I'm also concerned usage of such a facility would be limited as many simmers already have their own flight planning regimes or use payware route generators such as PFPX. However, it may be something we revisit at a later date if our resources permit.

PS: If you want to validate you flightplan there is a tool at www.eurofpl.eu/eurofpl/validation that may save you trawling through SkyVector  :) I've never used it myself, but it might be worth a look.

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

Ok then, I have a problem to find route LFBD-EDDL. Could someone help?

Graham Woodley (1054)

You might get away with

CNA UN858 TSU UM163 CTL UZ706 NOR T857 BIKMU (From VatAware)

Simbrief likes it but vRoute doesn't. Because of the alt restriction of above FL295 on UN858.

SkyVector doesn't seem to be working for now - can't access it.

Yes, I have also found trouble getting truly valid routes below FL250, especially in mainland Europe.

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

That's the point: As real as it gets, so if route have a FL restrictions at choosen FL it is not valid for me :P

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

G'day Michal,

I managed to get a validated route however the route has a max altitude FL195. Not ideal but I couldn't manage to get anything higher than FL195 validated.

SAU R10 LMG G21 GIVOR V36 AKELU N852 DIK N853 ARCKY T853 NOR T857 BIKMU

It's a tough patch of airspace. Also, please note that I'm not familiar with European Airspace. Still lots to learn about it.

Regards,
Serge

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

New one :)

EDDL-EGGD - any ideas?

(I have over 10 variants, but non of them are passing validation)

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

Found!

MODRU Z717 GOBNO UZ717 MAS UM617 SOGRI UL608 DENUT uL610 RAPIX/N0300F200 L610 LAM DCT CPT
at FL240

Paul Regimbal (1002)

Quote from: Michal Rzecznik on Sep 29, 2014 21:54
Found!

MODRU Z717 GOBNO UZ717 MAS UM617 SOGRI UL608 DENUT uL610 RAPIX/N0300F200 L610 LAM DCT CPT
at FL240

If you haven't already, please do add the route in vRoute for other users to share if you have successfully verified the route!

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

Already added there over 20 routes for DH8D with Intercity routes :) This was tricky one, but still fine.

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

After few days of planing routes to France I can say that it is almost impossible to fly there with intercity :/
Again: route database would be wonderful for me. I enjoy planning route, but every single time I have to spend for it over an hour and mostly without success. It is too much, so all joy is gone.

Graham Woodley (1054)

I share your pain Michal, to an extent.

It is indeed very difficult to get perfectly valid routes below FL250 in Northern Europe.

As I said before, you can usually get a route, but there will nearly always be airway altitude restrictions - you can run it through Simbrief OK, but vRoute won't have it.

Unless we have someone working in a flight planning department for an airline who can tell us what routes DH8 / J41 operators use and who is prepared to share that information outside their Company, we're a bit stuffed with the resources we have got, unless you're prepared to fly invalid routes, which doesn't feel right, especially if you're online.

But, having said that, as many of our routes are fictional, that isn't going to help much.

vRoute is a good route database, but if it's not in there it's hard to add a new one due to all the errors you always find.

A route database would need managing and constant checking and updating and that person would only find the same problems we have.

It's a difficult problem, and I'm not sure what the answer is, if we insist on stricktly valid routes, which I think we should  :-\

I usually avoid France but mainly because when I am able to find charts, I find them very hard to understand  :P

Michal Rzecznik (1127)

I have masterplan, to visit every airport from DH8D schedule. UK is already done, next is Benelux and Spain - already found routes. Then in my plan is France - a lot of airports and A LOT of trouble. 32 routes of witch only 8 is validated for now.