• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Blackpool Airport (BLK/EGNH) closing 15 October 2014

Started by Chris Liu, Oct 09, 2014 10:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Liu (1001)

Blackpool International Airport has announced all commercial airline flights will cease from 15th October onwards, as owner Balfour Beatty is divesting its airport interests and has failed to find a buyer for Blackpool.

With regret, Intercity's daily Blackpool routes to/from London City and Edinburgh will cease on that date (flights IA205, IA206, IA209 and IA210). Passengers with affected bookings are now being contacted and offered a refund or alternative flights to/from Manchester or Liverpool (subject to availability).

More details at http://www.blackpoolinternational.com/airport/news-media/news/blackpool-airport-announcement-0

A photo to reminisce over at http://viaintercity.com/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=107

A memorial service will be led by former Blackpool resident Mr Chris Hulme, in the short stay car park. The service will include poetry readings, a discussion on the finer points of the Airport Development Fee and a recital of a HS.748 Dart engine start. A TPE331 engine will then be ritually sacrificed in the time honoured method of applying full thrust whilst the condition levers are at taxi speed. Refreshments will consist of marshmallows cooked on the ensuing fire.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Blackpool was my "local" for 19 years, Had my first flying lesson here in 2004 with Westair in a Cessna 150 G-UFLY.

Then in 2006 I did my work experience here in 2006 with a (now defunct) airline called British North West Airlines who flew a Piper PA-31 from Blackpool to the Isle of Man and back 3 times a day.

I also got the visit the North West Air Ambulance who are based at Blackpool with a EC-35

Graham Woodley (1054)

I live a longish stones throw from the airport and I'll miss the 7am Sunday morning Jet2 wake up call and the Fred Marrow's Flying Circus visits in season.
I suppose they'll build 3000 rabbit hutches on there now in the name of 'Desirable Seaside Luxury Residences' and clog up the local roads even more.
Shame  :-\

Chris Liu (1001)

Sadly it seems to be the fate of many smaller UK airports, sold to developers to become industrial estates or housing. In the last 10 years Plymouth City, Filton, Sheffield City and Woodford all fell victim. Ipswich and Hatfield were done in the 90s. Barton nearly closed recently, although that seems to off the cards for now.

In light of Blackpool's closure we have a few J41 hours spare at Edinburgh, so I'm looking into starting services to Derry. Waterford is another option but I think that area is probably already served by Cork. I'm also considering Carlisle from London City but at the moment it is in a planning dispute for scheduled airline ops.

Anyone got any other suggestions for airfields within 200 miles of LCY or EDI that could realistically sustain 3-7 J41 flights a week?

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Graham Woodley on Oct 10, 2014 11:54
I live a longish stones throw from the airport and I'll miss the 7am Sunday morning Jet2 wake up call and the Fred Marrow's Flying Circus visits in season.
I suppose they'll build 3000 rabbit hutches on there now in the name of 'Desirable Seaside Luxury Residences' and clog up the local roads even more.
Shame  :-\

There was a rumour on Facebook, that Balfour Beatty deliberately ran it into the ground, and made a loss, so they could close it and turn it into a residential housing estate. Not sure of the credibility, but seems that it could end up that way! On the plus side, its a nice seaside location, with excellent transport links to the M55 for prospective buyers!

Sean Donno (1110)

Love the photo's Chris  8)

G-UFLY is still going strong, although doesn't look as nice as when you flew it!

Here is a shameless plug for the e-petition that has been set up to save the airport. Please sign and share this  ;)

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/70619

Airport is closing on Wednesday for a week, then opening for GA. As to it's long term future, who knows!

Thanks

Sean

Sean Donno (1110)

Current photo of G-UFLY

Blackpool is back operating again but no radar available.

Chris Hulme (1003)

I heard tht they are now operating with a reduced category meaning that only GA flights can go, but Citiwings wanted to get it back up and running with their passenger service?

Sean Donno (1110)

Correct. BOND have saved it by signing a contract to stay, and Citywing are showing flights available from April, but no official announcement yet.

Chris Hulme (1003)

There was a rumour that Bond were looking at hangers at Liverpool, obviously Blackpool works betetr for them! Hopefully they'll save the airport! On the side note I did fancy going on the Citywing flight to have a flight on the Let, but based on those prices I can get a return on staff travel from Liverpool for the same price!

Sean Donno (1110)

I think BOND explored a number of options, and they were using Warton up to Christmas holidays. Now back at Blackpool and apparently have signed a 3 year contract. I've heard that the loss of production on the offshore rigs BOND supports, costs in the region of 1 million, so would imagine the BOND contract is quite a lucrative one.
Blackpool would have shut if not for BOND, that's for sure.