• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

adding the upcoming Aerosoft CRJ700/900?

Started by Bill Ant, Feb 13, 2014 14:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ant (1076)

Have to ask.. ;)

Have you been considering the Aerosoft CRJ700/900 as a regional jet for Intercity?
Should be released soon.

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=10195&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=flight+simulation&s_language=english

My guess is that this will be a very popular addon for FSX.  Adding the CRJ will most likely attract future pilots.

Aerosoft has been very good at supporting their products and giving people a lot for the money.
From what I have read the new CRJ700/900 will be more realistic from a systems point of view then the AXE, but
without some of the immersion details such as ATC chatter.  ( this is what I think Aerosoft was saying on their forum but don't
hold me to it, I could be wrong) 

Bill
Bill
Visit my Flight Sim Blog! http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

Chris Liu (1001)

We're considering it but a major limitation is that we can't use it at London City Airport. We'll reserve full judgement until it's released but I'm not sure how soon this will be as it's being developed by Digital Aviation and they never finished their Fokker 100!

At this time it seems most likely that Airbus A319/A320 will be the next aircraft to be deployed, followed by something for London City operations as E190/E195.

Anyone else have thoughts on the CRJ-700/900?

Bill Ant (1076)

My bet is that it will be out sometime in the spring.  At least, that is what I can gather from the Aerosoft Forum. 
But who knows.   It might include the new Aerosoft weather radar.   This is hinted at on the forum.

Bill

Benjamin Hall (1007)

So many choices but I think we shouldn't saturate and operate too many types. The a320 will provide extra capacity except from lcy and we can later identity if another type will be required at lcy.

Steve Prowse (1046)

With regard to LCY here is an interesting look at what you can land there http://www.lcacc.org/aircraft/index.html..

Here is a very good read on steep approaches with the ERJs:  http://www.ifalpa.org/downloads/Level1/Interpilot/2006/07NWS02%20June%202006.pdf

I must add that I don't think having jets here is necessary we are after all a turboprop VA.  With my other VA I like to use the Airbus 320 (AXE), and the jungle jet at LCY.....but here nah I love the Q400 .  So please just a VA for Turboprop nuts.  Lets us keep it like it is.   

Chris Liu (1001)

I appreciate what Steve says about staying prop only, there are too many indistinguishable VAs out there and I'm glad we're distinctive. However, owing to a 100 KTAS deficit versus jet aircraft, actively pursuing a prop only policy seriously limits route expansion opportunities from our existing operating bases. As it stands, we can't reach beyond Northern Spain from any of our bases because props just don't cut it on routes in excess of 700 nm as the flight durations get lengthy. However, I would like to stress that if Intercity gets some jets, they will be used for expansion, not replacement. At any rate, London City is likely to remain prop only for a long time yet.

As regards Ben's comments, I am acutely aware that many virtual airlines seemingly operate every type under the sun in an effort to appeal to as broader market as possible, to the detriment of realism. We shall only operate one aircraft type for each requirement/mission profile, and the type selected will take in to account what's actually available for FSX, in addition to real life considerations.

To be frank, adding a new aircraft type is a complete pain in the arse for me because I have to paint at least two different models (which is 10+ hours work) and then schedule them (which seems to take decades), so don't expect more than one a year  ;D

Right now the plan* is to add a narrowbody jet that will let us add routes of 600-850 nm, which was intended to be the FSLabs A319/320*. As Bill said, this should broaden our appeal in the marketplace and get more pilots through the door, some of whom will go on to fly our props. In the longer term we may add an RJ type at London City, so our London services can reach Spain, Portugal, Scandinavia and Italy, but it would only be a handful of planes. In between all this we could add another operating base, although it would probably have fewer routes then any of our present bases.

* plans subject to change at any time without prior notice, as and when I fancy it  ::)

I want to stress I've no intention of taking Intercity beyond shorthaul, narrowbody territory and that we will always remain essentially a regional airline, even if we do end up with a smattering of mainline jets to give us better reach. I hate longhaul flying and I do not want to preside over a VA that does long flights! 

Bill Ant (1076)

I like that there is limited types at Intercity and a detailed SOP for each.   But these types have to be popular to attract new pilots and keep old ones.   Hence my reason for suggesting the CRJ from Aerosoft.   ( upon the presumption that it will be popular).  But it is clearly a regional jet.

Also, one thing I don't understand is why the FS Labs A320 and not AXE?   I just don't see it practical to tell people they can fly the FS Labs version at Intercity and not the Aerosoft version.   
Maybe there is a reason? 

Also, would the A320 really be considered for regional?  Or are you considering the A319 version instead?   Aerosoft is adding the A319 soon.   You could add the Aerosoft A319 for now, and follow up with the FSLabs version later  ;)

[size=78%]B. [/size]

Chris Liu (1001)

If we added the A319/A320 we would support both FS Labs and Aerosoft (probably Wilco and Project Airbus too), but the intention would be to "ride the momentum" of the FSL release, as we did with the Majestic Q400. The A32S is definitely not a regional jet, it's a mainline aircraft but that doesn't automatically rule it out as they'd only operate the longer routes where frequency would be less important (think Birmingham to Barcelona) so we wouldn't need that many.

I agree the types we use have to be popular to attract and retain pilots, but I can't envisage any release being more popular than the FS Labs A320 because the market has been crying out for it for years and its got some BIG names behind it (Lefteris Kalamaras was lead developer at PMDG). I'm unsure as to what the uptake of the Digital Aviation/Aerosoft CRJ will be as Wilco's E-jets v2 didn't seem to be all that popular and that has many more operators in reality.

I think the best regional jet for us would be the Embraer E190, to be frank the Avro RJ, Fokker 70/100 and even the CRJ are long in the tooth. Unfortunately the FS version of the E190 is a bit lacklustre by contemporary standards, e.g. it's lacking bump maps. The E195 (which isn't LCY approved) from feelThere/Wilco E-Jets v2 is only a minor update to the visuals and flight dynamics, it's not been updated for ages and there's no paint kit available.

We'll take our time before we finalise a decision (taking in to account discussions with our existing pilots of course), because I've only got it in me to add one type this year, so it needs to be the right choice!

Bill Ant (1076)

Ok, thanks for the clarification Chris!

Bill

Benjamin Hall (1007)

I think the fslabs A320 will be an excellent add on and will certainly allow for route expansion and higher capacity. I am also all in favour of keeping this regional only as I simply don't have time to juggle a stressful shift working job and a young family. One of the best things about this airline is despite its fictional setup, is the realistic operation including a limited fleet,which real world regional carriers such as flybe follow; I guess mainly to keep costs down. I do like the Rj series and the qwsim version is excellent, however it is now an old and fairly fuel thirsty aircraft. The wilco e190 is looking a bit dated too. No hurry Chris, I think you have a busy year ahead with the likely introduction of a new type and the scheduling headaches. Besides, the Q400 still bites me fairly regularly