• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

PMDG J41 Wx500 not functioning [SOLVED]

Started by Thomas Thomsen, Aug 28, 2014 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Thomsen (1195)

Hello forum,

I joined Intercity Airways to fly the J41, which I'm quite proficient in by now, but I ran into an immersion-killing problem today. I've experienced this before, but while I re-installed my sim last time, I'd like to avoid that this time.

Here's the problem:

The weather radar (Reality XP Wx500) is supposed to look like this:

... but in my sim it now looks like this:

Pictures shamelessly borrowed from Simforums.

As you can see, the entire (unfunctional) weather radar is displayed within the VC frame, and of course the clickspots (green blobs) do not appear on mouseover. It has worked fine until today, and stopped working randomly on a sim restart, not after an install.

I have tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread (and this), ie. uninstalling both the aircraft and the radar, cleaning the registry, installing Wx500 before J41, vice versa, running FSX as admin, all that, but the problem persists.

Apart from reinstalling the entire simulator, does anyone have an idea what to do?

Cheers,

- Thomas T.

Chris Liu (1001)

It's likely the panel.cfg or wx500.ini file that needs an entry changing. I'm away from my FSX PC atm but I'll check it tomorrow evening

Thomas Thomsen (1195)

Thank you Chris, very kind of you! :)

EDIT: Forgot to write in original post that I have of course not opened the Wx500 configuration tool after installing the J41 (doing so is the most common cause of this problem); actually it hasn't been opened at any time after reinstalling the Wx500 itself. Nor have I modified the RXPWX500.INI file in the J41 folder in SimObjects.

Chris Liu (1001)

I'll paste the contents of my RXPWX500.INI on here tonight (should be before 1900Z) and any relevant panel.cfg enteries and you should then be able to check yours against mine and see if there's any discrepencies. Once we've ruled that out we can look at other things, but I think it's most likely an issue with the .ini or .cfg as the radar does actually load and function for you (albeit incorrectly).

Thomas Thomsen (1195)

Eventually decided to reinstall the sim, but feel free to post it anyway, as I have had the problem before even on clean installs.

EDIT: Problem persists on clean install.

Chris Liu (1001)

Okay, my RXPWX500.INI lives in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG_JS4100 and complete contents of it is as follows:
Quote[SETTINGS]
Wx500Popup=15500
NoFrame=On
WX5_MAIN_MODE_NEXT=CTRL+W
WX5_MAIN_MODE_PREV=CTRL+M
If the bold item is missing or incorrect then you would get the problem you illustrated with the screenshots above. You might also get problems if you have RXPWX500.ini elsewhere within the PMDG_JS4100 folder (it should only be in the main folder itself, not any sub folders)

The panel.cfg has only one weather radar related entry, under the [VCockpit02] section which is:
gauge04=rxpWX500!RDR,  532, 528, 472, 331
Note that on some installs this might be gauge05 instead. If you are running the low-def panel then the entry is:
gauge04=rxpWX500!RDR,            266, 264, 236, 166
I presume the panel.cfg is correct on your setup since the gauge actually loads and sizes correctly.

Thomas Thomsen (1195)

Thank you for posting, Chris!

NoFrame=On is present, only the one RXPWX500.INI (in said location) exists, and gauge entry is identical (hi-def version). I'm at a loss...  :-\

Chris Liu (1001)

Search your system for all instances of RXPWX500.INI to double check it's not picking up the variables from anywhere else. As a last ditch measure, you can always try editing the main WX500 config file to see if that helps. Beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss  ???

Thomas Thomsen (1195)

Found no other instances of the file on any of my partitions, so that was not causing the issue.
I have given up on trying to resolve the problem. What I have done instead - for future reference - is to comment out the RXP gauge in panel.cfg, so the [VCockpit2] section reads as follows:

[VCockpit02]
size_mm=1024,1024
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$GaugeTwo
background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_1,    0,   0, 393, 500
gauge01=j41!pmdg_j41_rmu_2,  393,   0, 393, 500
gauge02=PMDG_BAe_JS4100_3!GNSXLS,  1, 508, 512, 408
gauge03=j41!pmdg_j41_alt_pic, 896,0,128,508
//gauge04=rxpWX500!RDR,  532, 528, 472, 331
gauge04=j41!pmdg_j41fms_pu_open, 919,458,53,35

While it does not fix the weather radar, it blanks the radar screen so I don't see the in-frame Wx500 unit on the VC screen.
Thank you for your assistance, Chris!  :)

EDIT/IMPORTANT: Against all recommendations I just ran the Wx500 config tool as a last resort and enabled the 2D radar gauge, and voilá; the built-in cockpit radar now works like a charm!  ;D