• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Issues with ACARS

Started by Graham Bannister, Aug 03, 2014 15:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bannister (1171)

Hi there
I am new and just completed my second flight. As difficult as it was.
For both flights so far on approach the joysticks jam,l and today now the frame rates suddenly dropped and the approach was herky jerky making the descent and approach very unstable.
Additionally something else I notice in my log....the final resting place shown in the log is not the coordinates for the airport EGLC and the gate position I am at.
Can anyone explain these anomalies as I have never had such control or framerate issues until using Intercity ACARS.
Thanks very much
Graham B

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Graham Bannister on Aug 03, 2014 15:38
For both flights so far on approach the joysticks jam,l and today now the frame rates suddenly dropped and the approach was herky jerky making the descent and approach very unstable.

Not sure about the joysticks jamming, ACARS has no influence over flight controls and is effectively a "read only" program in terms of FSX data. It polls FSUIPC on a regular basis to extract the required information (around 10 variables). There should be no effect on frame rates as a result, Ive looked at your reports and the only thing I could suggest (something I have myself) is I always get a drop in frames on approach into LCY, I think its because of the amount of scenery in the area with it being such a built up area. Have you had any frame rate issues when flying into LCY without ACARS running?

Quote from: Graham Bannister on Aug 03, 2014 15:38Additionally something else I notice in my log....the final resting place shown in the log is not the coordinates for the airport EGLC and the gate position I am at.

Not 100% on the anomalies in the log, as I said above it removes the data straight from FSX, if it persists let me know, but so far its the first time Ive seen the flown path be wrong (not that im saying yours hasn't gone wrong somewhere!)

Chris Hulme (1003)

Just a thought on the jamming of the controls, you haven't hit the gust lock by mistake have you? Theres a hidden click spot on the FO's side somewhere below the flight column

Graham Bannister (1171)

Haven't had a problem before flying into LCY without the ACARS. Will do another flight later and see what the result is.
As for the jamming. Seems what has been happening is the computer has been shutting them down to save power. I changed the setting in device manager with the power management. Going to fly now so will see what happens.
As for ending up on the map where I wasn't in reality. Not sure what that was about.

Chris Liu (1001)

It would be very unlikely for ACARS to be causing performance issues in a specific location, as once you're airborne the load ACARS places on your system is constant (and minimal); all it does is read some variables from FSX every so often. Have you made any other changes to your sim lately?

I suffer from lower frames in the London area in general because the scenery is so dense; in fact, if you run too many addons in the London area it's very easy to OOM FSX. Remember that the PMDG J41 is a demanding aircraft too, it's just as heavy as the NGX on a system, despite being a fifth of the size!

Graham Bannister (1171)

Had same issue again this morning flying into EGLC. I have been told it may be something to do with FSUIPC as far as the controls are concerned.
As for the map showing me somewhere other than airport...not sure why. But that only happens at EGLC.
I am going to remove and reload ACARS and FSUIPC and see what happens
Strange thing I have never encountered before.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Give it a go, see what happens.

what version of FSUIPC are you running?

Graham Bannister (1171)

FSUIPC4.
Same thing happened just now. Controls jammed. Never had this before flying between these airports.
Also once again. I land at airport and taxi in to park. But the final report shows erratic approach and nowhere near air

Chris Hulme (1003)

Could you provide the following

*Aircraft used (JS41/DH8D)
*Aircraft model used (PMDG/Dreamwings)
*Airport scenery used (if any)
*FS Version (Including any updates/patches)
*Operating system
*.NET Framework version
*Any other addons running (Weather, Traffic, VATSIM etc)
*Joystick you are using

Thanks

Graham Bannister (1171)

Hi Chris
I totally removed FSX and FSUIPC. Reinstalled both and then did a flight using Intercity aircraft as I would normally but without ACARS.
No issues.
Will try it using ACARS later and report back to you. Apparently there is a conflict between the FSX joystick and FSUIPC. I was asked to disable the joystick in FSX and programme it using FSUIPC. I did that and it seemed to be ok. Will see how it goes with ACARS later.
I am hoping there was an installation issue with FSUIPC or something that also caused the weird reporting of the final position.
Thanks Graham B

Benjamin Hall (1007)

What joystick are you using Graham?
I have fsuipc but have left it well alone with the q400. Was causing me all sorts of headaches. I have saitek throttle & quadrant.

Chris Hulme (1003)

I have the Saitek gear and have it all programmed through FSX itself and have no issues, the Majestic Q400 you have to program through the included program or they dont work properly!

Graham Bannister (1171)

Pleased to report no further issues.
I found that for some reason everytime I reach a specific point in the FS2Crew for J41 whilst on approach the controls were jamming. I removed and reinstalled and it seems to be ok at this time.
p.s. thoroughly enjoying the Intercity flights. First VA I have done more than one flight on and enjoying it
GB

Chris Hulme (1003)

Oh good, let me know If you have any other problems!

Happy flying