• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

New Base Will Be Dusseldorf

Started by Chris Liu, Sep 10, 2013 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Liu (1001)

After much consultation and research, we are able to confirm that Intercity's forth operating base will be Düsseldorf Airport (EDDL/DUS), serving the 11m+ people living in the Rhine-Ruhr area of Germany. Flights will commence on a phased basis and the date will be confirmed in a few weeks.Both Q400 and J41 types will be based there.

If Rhine-Ruhr were a country in its own right it would have the 16th largest GDP in the world, so the frequent, business orientated flights Intercity offers are well suited to this market and the many multinational companies based there. The area's population is over 11 million, much of it in the major European cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Essen and Duisburg.

For sim pilots it has comprehensive VATSIM coverage, including regular weekday sessions. Addon scenery packages from Aerosoft and also freeware authors are available.

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Sounds like a great choice all round Chris. Dread to think what a scheduling nightmare that will be!

Chris Liu (1001)

Sounds like a great choice all round Chris. Dread to think what a scheduling nightmare that will be!

We've selected 64 destinations from DUS, I will be very busy indeed! Corsica, Poland and Czech Republic will see their first Intercity flights.

I will try and get a basic schedule up within a few weeks but unfortunately the effects from an illness I had earlier in the year have started flaring up; I'm currently spending most of my non-working day in bed :(. And GTAV is due out on Tuesday, which could hinder progress a lot! :lol:

Chris Hulme (1003)

We've selected 64 destinations from DUS, I will be very busy indeed! Corsica, Poland and Czech Republic will see their first Intercity flights.

I will try and get a basic schedule up within a few weeks but unfortunately the effects from an illness I had earlier in the year have started flaring up; I'm currently spending most of my non-working day in bed :(. And GTAV is due out on Tuesday, which could hinder progress a lot! :lol:

You can play GTA when youve done the scheduling! :P

Chris Liu (1001)

But, but, it's sooo good! :lol: I've got the destinations, types and frequencies all allocated, just need to sort out the timings now. It will be a few weeks yet, even without GTA V

Chris Liu (1001)

Just a progress update, so you guy don't think I'm sat on my arse all day being idle! Tonight, I have scheduled 11 aircraft and 88 flights for our new base at Düsseldorf (that's 28% of the total I need to do). And now my brain hurts. I'm planning to have something to roll out for when the clocks go back.

Chris Liu (1001)

Another update, tonight I scheduled a further 12 Q400s, which brings the total to 23 aircraft and 182 daily flights. I have 132 flights left to do (i.e. 58% done). Don't have it in me to do those tonight :lol:

I estimate that there'll be 29 Q400s required to run the full Düsseldorf schedule, in addition to some JS41s. This will make DUS our biggest base, and also the most destinations at 64.

Also, I have finished the main storyline in GTA 5 :rolleyes:

Graham Woodley (1054)

Looking forward to this.

Just downloaded a decent looking EDDL freeware scenary from Avsim - tom_eddl_me_mm.zip (EDDL Dusseldorf Update V1.02) by Thomas Ruth, Max Epperlein, Mathias Mueller.

Had a quick whizz round in the microlight and it looks pretty decent. Accurate as of July 2012 apparantly.

Charts at http://www.vacc-sag.org/airport/EDDL. Check out the funny transistions :wacko:

Will we have any dedicated gates or stands?

Chris Liu (1001)

Thanks for the scenery info, I'll add it to the Recommended Addons thread later. Germany has always had mental transitions, Metro for Frankfurt is the one I always think of! Generally you'll find if it's quiet you'll get a D-TO or vectors, the zig-zag legs are only utilised where necessary for traffic management.

Will we have any dedicated gates or stands?

To be honest I never really gave it much thought for any of our bases, other than making sure there was sufficient parking capacity for us (such as ensuring that departures and arrivals are staggered so we don't occupy lots of stands at once), although personally I've been parking in the following spots:

• Edinburgh, stands 99-108

• Birmingham, stands 10-13

• London City, any old stand that's vacant! JS41s generally in to the smaller 9 and 10 stands and all aircraft avoiding use of the new East apron stands 21-24.

I'll investigate Düsseldorf and see if there's somewhere we can specifically call "our patch", but looking at the charts V69-V116 looks favourable (i.e. the patch of tarmac at the far South West)

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Hope you have not been neglecting GTA5 Chris!

PS those stands are WAAAY too far to the terminal to get coffee in between turnarounds!

Chris Liu (1001)

We're not some cheapskate low cost carrier, this is a proper outfit so there is complimentary coffee onboard (unlike Ryanair, who make the pilots pay)! But good luck trying to neck a coffee during our 20 minute turnarounds :lol: Oh and anyone spilling beverages down the pedestal, ARCDU or AHRS will be made to pay!

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Wouldn't waste good coffee spilling it on equipment. Peanuts and crisps however... I am a messy boy.

Are snacks complimentary too?? :D