• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

ACARS divert feature

Started by Chris Hulme, May 08, 2015 13:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Hulme (1003)

In keeping with our development goals, ACARS's new divert feature is unobtrusive to use and requires only minimal input.

Should you need to divert, you won't need to tell ACARS until after you've landed, so you can focus on flying! After engine shutdown, the flight report submission ACARS screen automatically appears:

• Tick the box to say you've diverted
  • Input the ICAO code for where you actually landed
  • Pick a reason for your diversion from the list (e.g. low fuel or medical emergency)
  • Add additional information in the comments field (e.g. weather information or nature of technical problem)
  • Submit your report as normal

Further information can found in the ACARS User Manual. ACARS will automatically update itself so you have this new feature available for your next Intercity flight.

We would like to take this opportunity to remind pilots that diversions are not a common occurrence in reality and they should only be used when strictly necessary. As such, diverted flights may have their reports reviewed by the management.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Quote from: Chris Hulme on May 08, 2015 13:02

We would like to take this opportunity to remind pilots that diversions are not a common occurrence in reality and they should only be used when strictly necessary. As such, diverted flights may have their reports reviewed by the management.

Blimey scary or what.... :o  anyhow nice addition Chris...I think.. :-\ [size=78%] [/size]

Chris Liu (1001)

Well technically we can (and do) review any flight report. It's nothing to worry about, we're not trying to catch anyone out, it's just to ensure everything is fair and accurate.

We do random spot checks but also have mechanisms that indicate reports that may be of particular interest to us. A diversion is one such thing that might flag up.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Quote from: Chris Liu on May 08, 2015 16:22
Well technically we can (and do) review any flight report. It's nothing to worry about, we're not trying to catch anyone out, it's just to ensure everything is fair and accurate.

We do random spot checks but also have mechanisms that indicate reports that may be of particular interest to us.

Yeah I know you do;  big brother is watching...aye

Chris Liu (1001)

There are many virtual airlines that review every flight log submitted, and some will "reject" reports if they exceed certain criteria, such as a heavy landing, high g-forces, late arrival or excessive fuel (I believe BAV is very strict in this regard).

I've never really understood rejecting flight logs to be honest, because if a flight happened (even if it is simulated) then it doesn't just disappear. In reality, airlines can't remove entries from their pilot's logbooks because they used too much fuel or landed a bit hard!

Besides, if we rejected heavy landings no one would ever get a Q400 flight log accepted!  ;D

Chris Hulme (1003)

Steve Prowse (1046)

Nice Vid Chris  ;D ....but is that really the boss?  I mean you've seen him up close like...nah can't be....can it?? really  :o

All the best

Steve