• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

VATSIM tutorial

Started by Chris Liu, Dec 12, 2013 16:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Liu (1001)

We appreciate that for those new to it, VATSIM can seem a daunting and confusing place. But everyone was new once upon a time: confused over the software, terrified of making mistakes, unsure how things worked! Of course, VATSIM controllers are happy to assist you if they're not too busy but it helps immensely if you have a grasp of the basics.

As a proud VATSIM approved partner airline, we are happy to support and assist you in using the VATSIM multiplayer and ATC network; to that end we have sourced two tutorials that will show you how to setup, connect and fly, step by step  :)

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread if you require further assistance or advice, and don't forget there are articles elsewhere in the forums for flight planning tools and a conversion guide for pilots who usually fly in North America.

Two final pieces of advice: Make sure you can fly your aircraft well before using it on VATSIM! And whatever the controller tells you, say it back to them verbatim (apart from weather information).

Jim Caudell (1163)

Hello all,
I am slowly working towards using VATSIM. I have an account.
I installed FSCopilot and FSINN (I believe they are the most current versions)
I got it all setup and was able to listen to EGPH tower.  ;D
I followed the setup video above. I did notice that my install did not correctly detect the location of FSX it said it was C:\FS, I have it set to C:\FSX
I had to copy the module and other folders to FSX.
When I ended the program (FSINN and FSX) I got an error message that FSX encountered a problem.  :(
I have not tried it a second time yet. Was wondering if this would cause a problem. I ran the install as Administrator.

Also should I turn off the AI traffic so it does not interfere with the VATSIM traffic?

Jim Caudell (1163)

works with fs aircraft but if I use J41 or D8 it hangs.
I have looked at several websites, including VATSIM, but still no go.

:(

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice to solve your problem with FSinn however I will make a suggestion. I would recommend you look at vPilot as an alternative Vatsim pilot client. It is a simpler client and is very easy to setup compared to FSInn. Also, unlike FSInn it is under active development. You can find more information here:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/

Welcome to the world of Vatsim.

Regards,
Serge

Chris Liu (1001)

Heavy users recommend FS INN/Copilot because of its model matching features, but it is old, temperamental and over complicated!I still use it but I have to be I very careful with it, for example, if I load FS INN after starting FS2Crew then it will crash! My advice is to start FS INN as soon as you've loaded up at the airport, loading it after other addons can upset it. Or as Serge said, get vPilot (it was released after I posted these tutorials, hence them not mentioning it).

You don't have to disable AI traffic when flying online, but you might end up landing and parking on top of an AI aircraft or vice-versa! Disabling AI will improve your framerates too.

Welcome to VATSIM, the learning curve is steep but the fun and immersion is second to none! If you've got any further issues, post here and we'll do our best to help  :)

Jim Caudell (1163)

Thank you for the advise Sergio and Chris.
I installed Vpilot. I think I have it all installed correctly. Have not tried it out, but will probably do so tomorrow.
I liked the look and operation of FSINN, but had trouble with it. It would hang FSX when I tried to use it with the J41 and DH8.
I have FS2Crew for both, but I did not use them, wanted to make sure all was good first.

I installed MY Traffic 13, and used it rule set for the models. I believe I have to or can set the flight schedule for the AI aircraft.
If I turn off the AI as Chris suggested to get a few more FPS, will the models still show in FSX? I am thinking yes, but not sure.
I will have to check the documentation again.

I will listen on Vatsim for a little, to get used to the accents and verbiage. I lived in England for 3 years, so I don't have too much trouble with the accents, sometimes on videos it seems a little muffled or mumbled. Don't know if that is the person or system or both.

Once I give a try to listen to make sure all is setup, I will let you know.

Again, thank you for all of the help. Looking forward to getting online.

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Hi Jim,

As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong here) Vatsim disables AI traffic automatically when you connect to the network. The exception to this is if you use Ultimate Traffic 2 which has a different way of injecting AI traffic into FSX. Even though your AI traffic is disabled Vpilot will still use the AI models to display human traffic inside Vatsim providing you are using a model matching rule set (which you have done).

Also, if you want to create your own model matching rule set for Vpilot you can use this tool.

http://www.lekseecon.nl/VMRGenerator.html

This is handy if you have AI models installed not covered by the rule sets provided.

Finally a tip for using FS2Crew (if you don't already know). When using FS2Crew on Vatsim make the FS2Crew soft mute button the same as the Vatsim Pilot Client PTT button so when you speak on Vatsim FS2Crew will be muted.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Serge

Chris Liu (1001)

Just to add to what Serge said, FS INN won't disable your AI traffic when you connect to VATSIM (I found this out the hard way), I'm guessing all the other "pilot clients" such as Squawkbox and vPilot must. Perhaps it's time I changed pilot client myself?

If you get on with vPilot then I'd ditch FS INN as it can upset other FSX addons in my experience. If you continue using FS INN, make sure you disable its weather feature.

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Sorry for the misinformation Jim. I'm sure I read somewhere that AI traffic was disabled automatically on Vatsim. Oops...  :o

I use Ultimate Traffic 2 so I need to manually disable it when I go on Vatsim.

Regards,
Serge

Jim Caudell (1163)

I tried it tonight with the J41, only station I saw was GND at EGSS, Vpilot showed APP at EGLL. I switched between the two, just listening. Didn't hear much. Not sure if too many people are on at 0030 on a week night lol

I switched between Vpilot and FSX several times, got the weather at EGSS, all seemed to work ok, no crashes or glitches seen. Will have to check again when more activity is on.  ;D

Might try installing FSINN and FSCopilot again, just bugs me that I can't get it to work right but other people do lol
now if I can adjust the volume of the engines of the J41 so I can hear the ATC clearly I will be good.

Thanks for all the help, this is getting better by the minute.

I will setup the PTT the way you said Sergio, I have seen it cause some slight problems on videos. I only have voice for the DH8, I think I can set it for voice on the A320. But the J41 is button.

Chris Liu (1001)

I'm suppose to be uploading some quieter J41 engine sounds soon. Busiest times on VATSIM UK are between 1830 and 2130L in the week, weekends it stretches to between 1330 and 2300L. The Germans, Dutch and Spanish are an hour ahead, so they arrive and leave first.

Jim Caudell (1163)

Looking forward to the quitter engines. I like the sound of them, but not when they drown out a lot of other stuff.
Thanks for the times too. I will keep them in mind when I get on.

One last question (for now at least  ;)  ) When I put in my call sign, is it Intercity 197 or would it be ICX197, I am thinking the later, that is what I see on VAT-Spy

Thanks again for all the help. Vpilot seems the way to go, at least for me.

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Hi Jim,

Your assumption is correct. Use ICX197 (or what ever flight number you are flying). Also, I like to add the following to the flight plan remarks section:

OPR/INTERCITY WEB/WWW.VIAINTERCITY.COM

This helps ATC with Intercity's callsign in case they are not familiar with ICX and also helps promote Intercity. Chris mentions this in a post here:

http://viaintercity.com/forums/general-discussion/help-promote-us!/

Cheers,
Serge

Chris Liu (1001)

Quote from: Jim Caudell on Mar 26, 2015 00:34
Looking forward to the quitter engines. I like the sound of them, but not when they drown out a lot of other stuff.
You can download my reduced volume J41 engine sounds from http://viaintercity.com/forums/discounts/pmdg-j41-reduced-engine-volume

Jozef Matejička (1292)

Quote from: Sergio De Ceglie on Mar 26, 2015 06:27
OPR/INTERCITY WEB/WWW.VIAINTERCITY.COM

VATSIM newbie question:
Why not use CALL/INTERCITY instead of OPR/INTERCITY?  Are ATCs really interested in WEB/WWW.VIAINTERCITY.COM?