• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Understanding Intercity schedule

Started by Dimitri Bespalko, Dec 12, 2015 06:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitri Bespalko (1358)

Hi Chris,

I need your help for understanding our schedule. First question is:

Why London City is a hub, but as I see no aircraft is staying there, I mean the first duty flight is not FROM LC but TO LC? As I understand HUB - is an airport where are company planes parked and the flights goes FROM?

Second thing:

Lets take today. Today is 6 day of the week. If we take for example duty 8 we see that there is two flights - 65 and 66. The crew arrives at LEBL at 10:15 and what happens to them after? They stay at LEBL waiting for Sunday?

Chris Liu (1001)

Hi Dimitri,

Well spotted! The scheduling may appear odd (and it was very difficult and time consuming to do) but it is necessary because London City Airport is very small (surrounded on 3 sides by water) and in a very built-up area, which means lots of restrictions:

1) There are only 19 stands and they have strict time limits, plus a small GA apron. Most of the J41s can park overnight at London City but there is no room for the Q400s, so they must spend the night at other airports. It's expensive to overnight crew, but there is no alternative.

2) London City has very strict limitations on weekend flying to give neighbouring residents a break from aircraft noise. On Saturday (day 6) operations are only permitted between 0630 and 1300 local. On Sunday (day 7) it's 1230-2230 local. On weekdays it's 0630-2230 local. That's another reason we park aircraft at other airports at night, because it means we can start flying earlier and finish later.

There are many other restrictions at London City that may be of interest to you, such as: No helicopters, No single engined aircraft, No single pilot ops, Cannot be nominated as an alternate/diversion, No recreational flying, Aircraft must be certified for 5.5' or steeper approach, Aircraft self-manoeuvre on to parking stands with their nose pointing outwards, Strict limits on APU usage and A special set of lights just after the TDZ (touch down zone) that indicate the go-around point.

I hope you have found this informative  :)

Dimitri Bespalko (1358)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Dec 12, 2015 14:10
Hi Dimitri,

Well spotted! The scheduling may appear odd (and it was very difficult and time consuming to do) but it is necessary because London City Airport is very small (surrounded on 3 sides by water) and in a very built-up area, which means lots of restrictions:

1) There are only 19 stands and they have strict time limits, plus a small GA apron. Most of the J41s can park overnight at London City but there is no room for the Q400s, so they must spend the night at other airports. It's expensive to overnight crew, but there is no alternative.

2) London City has very strict limitations on weekend flying to give neighbouring residents a break from aircraft noise. On Saturday (day 6) operations are only permitted between 0630 and 1300 local. On Sunday (day 7) it's 1230-2230 local. On weekdays it's 0630-2230 local. That's another reason we park aircraft at other airports over night, because it means we can start flying earlier and finish later.

There are many other restrictions at London City that may be of interest to you, such as: No helicopters, No single engined aircraft, No single pilot ops, Cannot be nominated as an alternateersion, No recreational flying, Aircraft must be certified for 5.5' or steeper approach, Aircraft self-manoeuvre on to parking stands with their nose pointing outwards, Strict limits on APU usage and A special set of lights just after the TDZ (touch down zone) that indicate the go-around point.

I hope you have found this informative  :)

Yes, thnx a lot!

Steve Prowse (1046)

Yeah thanks Chris for the info....,even at my age I seem to learn something new everyday.

Cheers

Steve