• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Realism vs Just Flying

Started by Graham Bannister, May 04, 2017 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bannister (1171)

I have a question for all of our pilots.
Do you like to fly as real as possible or just fly for fun and fly over and over in one day?
In that I mean in "Real Life" a pilot has stringent rules and regulations that dictate how often they can fly and how long. You can only fly so many days in a row, and fly so many hours in a day and so many sectors etc etc etc..

Its crazy I know but I try to follow the UK Flight and Duty Limitations in accordance with CAP371. Fly so many sectors based on your start time.

I have below CAP371 in its entirety for those interested and then just the part dealing with the flight hours.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP371.PDF

Table A Two or more flight crew - Acclimatised
Local time
of start
                                             Sectors
                  1    2    3      4     5    6  7  8 or more
0600-0759 13 12¼ 11½ 10¾ 10 9½ 9  9
0800-1259 14 13¼ 12½ 11¾ 11 10½ 10 9½
1300-1759 13 12¼ 11½ 10¾ 10 9½ 9  9
1800-2159 12 11¼ 10½ 9¾    9   9   9  9
2200-0559 11 10¼ 9½   9      9   9    9  9

Gerald Plotts (1443)

I fly as real as possible, less time constraints. I know in the real world, you wouldn't fly an A320, land and do your next leg in the Q400. I do use real world planning, weather, and times. Sometimes I have to remind myself that this just a hobby, not a job. I mean the management team is not going to really pay me to fly.  ;D ;D ;D
Visit my flightdeck here:
http://myflightdeck.weebly.com/

Chris Liu (1001)

We offer 50? per flight hour!

Chris Hulme (1003)

At my airline we actually have moved over to EASA FTLs which differ slightly from the above, however the principals are the same!

You'll find sometimes that you are scheduled to operate 4 sectors but due to delays you cannot operate the last 2 and so they have to replace the crew.

The times in the table represent a full FDP (Brief to debrief) which you get an hour before and half an hour after. So you need to also take this into account!

The commander may also use commander's discretion in unforeseen circumstances to increase FDP by up to 2 hours, unless the flight crew has been augmented in which case the maximum FDP may be increased by not more than 3 hours. The commander shall consult all crew members on their alertness levels before deciding the modification. The commander will have to submit a report to the company and where the FDP is increased by more than 1 hour, a copy of the report will be sent to the CAA.

There's also minimum rest which is 12 hours free from duty between duties.

Added onto this is your total duty hours cannot exceed the following

60 duty hours in 7 consecutive days
110 duty hours in any 14 consecutive days
190 duty hours in any 28 consecutive days
2000 duty hours during the period of 12 months expiring at the end of the month before the month in question (The Civil Aviation (working time) regulations 2004).

And your total flying hours cannot exceed

100 flying hours in any 28 consecutive days
900 flying hours in any calendar year
1000 flying hours in any 12 consecutive calendar months. (UK Civil Aviation Working Time Regulations 2004 limit this to 900 hours expiring at the end of the month in question.)

There are also rules of minimum number of days off, and also don't forget you get 28 days holiday in the UK.

As you can see the rules we follow are some what complicated, and the airline uses computerised rostering software to work all of this out and they can then see any violations and change our roster accordingly.

So all in all there are plenty of rules to follow, but then again its FS so anything goes!

Graham Bannister (1171)

I use the CAP371.. its what I am familiar with having been in charge of crew rostering for some 20 years in my past life.  :D

I try to stick it as much as I can as like Gerald, sometimes I forget its a hobby and I may get carried away but all in all I cant think of a better hobby than flying for Intercity.

I expect my check I the mail Chris... 8) ;D

Chris Liu (1001)

50? * 202.5 hours = 10130? = about 45¢  :P

Graham Bannister (1171)

I calculated 42 cents.. But I will take the 45....
offer and acceptance.. valid contract.  :o ;D

Chris Liu (1001)

Gosh that takes me back to when I did business and contract law nearly a decade ago!