• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Newbie Alert

Started by Matthew Osborne, Apr 01, 2016 06:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Osborne

Hi Intercity Crew and Management!

I'm Matt I've just joined with in the last week. I can't wait to get going and start with my first Virtual Airline. My home base is EGJB Guernsey Channel Islands.

I have the Majestic Q400 and the PMDG BAe J41 both with basic knowledge I haven't got to grips yet with the Airbus family.

I've never used Vatsim going to join and see how i get on with it.

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. (I'm still learning these A/C)

Today I was loading a flight plan into my Dash FMS and notice NAV database has Expired, is there a way can I renew it? I notice my SID wasn't listed for my Flight plan and a few airways are missing.  I've had a quick flick down the forum and couldn't see anything regarding this.

Also I wanted to fly the other day with the poor vis but wasn't too sure on how to hold in the dash. I've tried youtube and the forum but couldn't find any tips.

Also do we stick to FDP?

Thanks for your time!

Great to Meet you, see you around!

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Morning Matt.

Welcome on board. In order to have the correct up to date sids and nav database you will need to purchase updates from  the likes of navigraph.com
You can buy a one off for a few quid which lasts a month or subscribe to the annual package.
As a fellow Dash flyer I can't recommend enough the Airline2sim cadet and first officer training programs. These again are well worth the reasonable price and have made my landings more dash than smash.
Enjoy your time with Intercity.

Ben

Chris Liu (1001)

Welcome aboard Matt! :) Majestic's detailed tutorial at http://majesticsoftware.com/mjc8q400/tutorials.html covers holding briefly on page 48. I'm still running the original nav database myself but with all the SID and STAR changes at London City I'll probably chuck Navigraph a few quid to get the latest database. Some people pay for the monthly upgrades but once every couple of years suits me fine, I can manually add/remove the few differing waypoints (and I'm tight)!

VATSIM is wonderful once you're aware of its caveats, however I would advise you only take it on when you're comfortably familiar with the aircraft you're flying, there is a basic tutorial in the forums here.

As regards Flight Duty Period (FDP), no one's asked before as we don't assign crew as such (although we roster aircraft with a full day's flying duty) and the rules are rather complicated; we wouldn't penalise anyone for exceeding 13 hours FDP on a flight simulator.

Ron Kurz (1390)

Hi Matt

Welcome to Intercity!!
The tutorials in the Dash section are great, but in the end it boils down to practice (...makes perfect  :) ) I've subscribed (yearly) to Navigraph and I think it's well worth it - especially if you plan to do online ATC flying.

[size=0px]>>I've never used Vatsim going to join and see how i get on with it. [/size]

[/size]You should also look into IVAO, which seems a lot more active in Europe than VATSIM, especially mainland. Can't say which one is 'better' though. But [size=0px][/size]I find it very useful to be part of both. T[/size]he audio sounds better on IVAO, since they use teamspeak - the whole installation, etc. is slightly more straight forward on VATSIM... ???

[/size]The learning curve for online ATC flying is quite steep - but so well worth the effort! And like Chris said, it really helps to know your aircraft  really really well before you venture online.
[/font][/color]
Enjoy your Intercity routes!![/font][/color]

Ron[/font][/color]

Gerald Plotts (1443)

Welcome aboard. I've been here just a bit over a month, and have found this ti be an exceptional VA. Especially with the Dash8 Q400. I've also buckled under and have tackled the JS41. Whatever you fly, flying here is great.
Visit my flightdeck here:
http://myflightdeck.weebly.com/