• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

More Scandinavian routes

Started by Frank Herter, Jan 15, 2017 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Herter (1523)

Hi Staff,

just a quick question.

Would it possible to file more routes to Scandinavian?

e.g. Iceland, Norway, Finland

Regards
Frank

Chris Liu (1001)

We'd like to but our raison d'etre is flights under 2 hours, which causes some problems. However I'll consider any Scandinavian routes that has sufficient passenger demand to support it.

Iceland I've entirely ruled out on the grounds of sector length as it's essentially just 3+ hours flying mainly over water!

Southern Norway we serve 3 airports although I'll take a second look at Kristiansand. In the North you have Tromso and the route to the UK is a gorgeous flight along the Norwegian coast, but it's 1200+ nm and the majority of Tromso's international flights are just summer holiday charters. However, I am thinking about adding Trondheim to/from Düsseldorf and/or Birmingham using A320.

Southern Sweden is well covered with 4 airports already served. Anything in the centre or North is too small to support a scheduled international service (e.g. Ostersund, Sundsvall), these are airports that don't see half a million passengers per year.

Finland we have issues with sector length across the whole country, we serve Helsinki-Düsseldorf which is 800 miles already. Oulu is their second busiest airport but it's 1000+ miles and only 850,000 passengers/year. Turku and Tampere are similar mileage to Helsinki to/from Düsseldorf but once again their international services are all summer charters.

Ultimately we'll probably cover some of the airports mentioned above as occasional A320 charters during summer but regular scheduled flights are difficult on such low passenger numbers.

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Should jump on the outrageous over priced Santa charters to Roveniemi bandwagon.