• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Love the Challenge

Started by Barry Goulding, Feb 22, 2014 20:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Goulding

I've just got to say that my interest in FSX and Virtual Flying has been invigorated by both the Dash 8 and this VA.
Up to now I have usually flown the PMDG B737 which is awesome, with the aid of FS2Crew. I also fly the Airbus, again very good. But after being introduced to the Dash 8 Q400 by Froogle Pete and then finding this Virtual Airline I am hooked. Unfortunately I am not that proficient yet on the Dash and I have not flown yet for the airline, something I hope to change tomorrow. My ultimate aim is to fly regularly on VATSIM but one step at a time. The Dash 8 does provide a challenge but one that is very enjoyable, I must say that I will be asking for tips though.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Welcome Barry

Glad you love he VA and the Q400! I'm sure any questions you have will be answered quickly on here!

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Welcome on board Barry.
Don't worry. This little lady bites me frequently.  You will love the va though. Wonderful community here.

Bill Ant (1076)

The Q can be tough bird to fly..

I have been trying to hand fly my approaches as much as possible.
But with the lack of auto-throttle and bad weather... Its tough!

Bill
Visit my Flight Sim Blog! http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

Chris Liu (1001)

I had to stay away from London City until I'd mastered it elsewhere, it is very unforgiving during the later stages of approach if not handled correctly (and by correctly I mean the inverse of what you'd do in any other plane)! There are plenty of useful tips and links hanging around in the forums to assist you though.

Welcome aboard Barry!  :)

Steve Prowse (1046)

Well, challenge, it is certainly a challenge!  I've had a few hours in type now and I can say I'm still far from being happy with my ability to land her or anything else,  I think I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel!

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Towel has been  on the radiator for ages. This girl has a vicious side to her.  But I do love the old girl though. A satisfying flight in her is awesome when it happens.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Benjamin Hall on Feb 23, 2014 19:14
Towel has been  on the radiator for ages. This girl has a vicious side to her.  But I do love the old girl though. A satisfying flight in her is awesome when it happens.

Ermm we are talking about the Dash 8 here arnt we..... ;D

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Ermm we are talking about the Dash 8 here arnt we..... ;D
[/quote]

Being married to a redhead sometimes I am not sure!

Graham Woodley (1054)

Steve stay with it.
The approach and final phase of landing isn't intuitive if you're used to jets.
The narrow plank wing and powerful engines mean that little tweaks in pitch to control t/d rate are virtually ineffective - it's done 70% with power and 30% with pitch.
Keep a bit of power on through the flare and fly it on.
If you 'retard' at 10 feet you'll drop like a brick.

There's a good article about landing the Dash8 somewhere where I read that. Can't remember where I saw it now - was it linked from the forum somewhere? Can't find it now.

By powering it on with minimal changes in pitch I'm getting 'reasonable' t/d rates generally now ('reasonable' = <5 broken plates), except at LCY of course, where fortunately they have a good supply of tyres and an effective runway sweeper  :)

Sean Donno (1110)

Quote from: Steve Prowse on Feb 23, 2014 02:34
Well, challenge, it is certainly a challenge!  I've had a few hours in type now and I can say I'm still far from being happy with my ability to land her or anything else,  I think I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel!

Agree with Mr Woodley  :)
It's really challenging on the final approach and flare, and I've spent hours trying to master this. Getting better, but still not perfect, yet.
What has helped me, is to set up a flight somewhere with ILS, and then use the autopilot in approach mode, and wait until well established on the glideslope and then disengage and manually fly the final phase. I've been doing this numerous times, and am definitely getting better and more used to her  :)

Graham Woodley (1054)

And my very next landing after making that post I forgot everything I said and decked it in at -500ft/min  :-[

Fortunately the logbook doesn't record TD rates so nobody knows  ;)

Oh.

Bill Ant (1076)

If you read my latest Blog post, I talk a bit about hand flying the Q400 on landing, (Shameless plug i know  :o )
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/2014/02/from-scotland-egph-to-norway-envz-in.html

To be honest, I think you want to work out of the old, use APP mode just before landing, then disconnect and land, method.
Get used to the feel of the Q before you are on final approach.   There is a big difference!  8)

I have tried to concentrate more on hand flying, my approach and landings.
Unfortunately the weather is usually the limiting factor between turbulence and or clouds.
But if free of the cloud deck, I disconnect the AP as soon as possible.

Therefore, I concentrate on slowing the Q down before making my turn onto final. (While hand flying)
This is important as you start to really feel the aircraft at this point.
It helps to get gear and flaps down before the turn onto final

Then, once on final, I concentrate on getting down to Vapp speed, and
following the GS.   I use the ILS reading as a guide, along with the papi lights.
What also helps is to input the VNAV waypoints for the RNAV approach, into the FMC.
(That way, they will show on the ND, leading straight to the runway. )

About 15-30 trq for power, using the throttle to control descent rate and the elevator trim
to help control speed.   I pop up the PFD. 

Its tough and a little nerve racking, but I find myself becoming more confident with each landing!   :D 
Can't say my landings are greesers, but they are acceptable.
Also, I don't suffer the old AP snaffus on landing that used to happen either.

Bill
Visit my Flight Sim Blog! http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

Sean Donno (1110)

Thx for the info Bill  :)

Some good info on landing the Q400 here; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B86N70tQL5YVZXpCVzUySXhscXc/edit?usp=sharing

There is also some very good info on approach & landing in the Majestic tutorial  ;)