• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

London City - EGLC "The Hub of Choice"

Started by Graham Bannister, Mar 20, 2017 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bannister (1171)

Good day everyone

I am inviting all of you New Pilots and First Officers to come and join me at what I call "The Greatest Little Hub" in the Intercity Airways network. That is of course London City (EGLC).

Located 6nm east of London, London City airport serves the financial district - handling 2.8 million passengers annually. In order to negotiate the limited space and large buildings nearby - the runway features the steepest glideslope in the UK, which together with a 1500m runway creates a challenging approach for pilots of all aircraft.

Neighbourhood pressures together with the unique approach requirements severely limit the aircraft types which can operate into the airport - which also requires specifically qualified crews in order to ensure safe operations. All of the stands face nose out - which negates the need for pushback from the terminal. The airport also features a jet centre at the western end - this plays host to the numerous business jets which visit the airport. Operations face restricted hours in a week - and the weekend sees the airport closing down for 24 from the middle of Saturday onwards.

Take a look below at the link from VATSIM giving all the interesting airport on my home base.

https://vatsim.uk/EGLC/

Come aboard and fly the steep approach with me.

Happy travels. Graham B

Benjamin Hall (1007)

A good Khe San style approach.
Certainly a challenge!!

Chris Hulme (1003)

Just remember to flare at 50ft! Or it'll be a rather firm landing!

Chris Liu (1001)

Puts me in mind of this infamous clip

Graham Bannister (1171)

It definitely gets the pucker factor up a bit on approach. Especially when you got some funky winds or low clouds.

But you got to love EGLC.

Sean Donno (1110)

Now that is what I call "putting it down"  :o