• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Logging VATSIM while notbeing on VATSIM flt plan

Started by Graham Bannister, Apr 18, 2018 20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bannister (1171)

I notice a couple of times now some pilots are shown as logging Vatsim hours yet they are not showing up on Vatsim with a flight plan.
How could this be happening? This was brought to my attention by a Vatsim controller

Is there a glitch with the software (Vatsim) or some other reason?

GB

Chris Hulme (1003)

Our ACARS software is quite sophisticated in tracking aircraft and ensuring everyone is playing fairly but cross-referencing our records with the multiplayer networks is not straight forward and things can be missed, that's why ACARS makes pilots manually choose what network was used (if any) at the end of the flight so our systems have a starting point to work from. I have noticed the odd flight of mine not registered with tracking sites beyond the official stats.vatsim.net too.

If you have concerns regarding specific reports please email us with the details and we can investigate further.

Graham Bannister (1171)

This was a general comment the Controller made to me when we were speaking earlier today.
Its not directed at us directly. It seems to be happening across the board.

We go back a long way and get into discussions from time to time.

Just thought I would put it out there in event we were having any issues.
G

Chris Liu (1001)

Some people fly on VATSIM or IVAO but actively avoid air traffic controllers (this isn't just a virtual airline thing) by immediately disconnecting if they get contacted by a controller, often they won't file a flightplan either. So whilst they're technically logging hours on those networks, they're not really participating in the way that was intended and will only be connected for part of their flight so if you look at the wrong point in time you wouldn't see them on Vattastic (other network maps are available).

This was a regular occurrence when I was a practising VATSIM C1

Graham Bannister (1171)

Many times also the vatsim server disconnects by itself which also causes some issues.
Anyway at least I now know how to approach the matter if je asks again.
Thanks
GB

Gerald Plotts (1443)

I have the disconnects all the time. Since my vatsim is running via widefs on my laptop, I don't always know that I've disconnected.
Visit my flightdeck here:
http://myflightdeck.weebly.com/

Graham Bannister (1171)

I think we need to find a way to be able to get a more distinct alert when that happens. Nothing more frustrating thannto be flyimg along and realise late into the flight that you are disconnected.

Chris Liu (1001)

Hopefully when the new swift pilot client finally appears things will be better with auto reconnect

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Graham Bannister on Apr 19, 2018 19:00
I think we need to find a way to be able to get a more distinct alert when that happens. Nothing more frustrating thannto be flyimg along and realise late into the flight that you are disconnected.

If your connected to an ATC channel you'll hear the ATC disconnect sound but aside from that I think Vpilot does have a sound but it's a quick buzz or something so easy to miss

Gerald Plotts (1443)

Yep, I run vPilot in the remote mode, and unless I've got the volume turned up on my laptop, I don't hear it. There isn't any indication at all on the flying computer. And it's especially tricky if vPilot isn't the active window.
Visit my flightdeck here:
http://myflightdeck.weebly.com/

Graham Bannister (1171)

Same thing with me Gerald. I have my laptop volume turned up to full on external speaker however when I have on my headsets to talk to ATC I don't hear the sound of the alert. Always constantly checking it which is tedious.