• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

First flight for intercity airways

Started by Anthony Volkmann, Feb 14, 2017 13:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony Volkmann (1541)

Hello all,

I just finish my first flight for Intercity Airways from EGPD to EDDF and i think it was not so bad. I would like to add some pictures from the flight for you.

Maybe someone can me explain how to use the sreenshot gallery?
Ok, i found it :) http://viaintercity.com/forums/media/?sa=item;in=562
[smg id=558]

Best regards,

Anthony

Chris Liu (1001)

Hallo Anthony, Willkommen an Bord! I'm glad you've worked out the screenshot gallery, nice photos! If you need help with anything else please ask us  :)

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Anthony Volkmann (1541)

Thank you very much.
Too sad that i had two times OOM/CTD. But the last flight to EDDL was ok :)

Chris Liu (1001)

I have an FSX addon that automatically saves the flight every 4 minutes, and keeps 3 saves (so I can go back 12 minutes). ACARS will let you "flight resume" if you reload FSX close to where it crashed, although you will need to restart ACARS first.

Anthony Volkmann (1541)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Feb 25, 2017 13:32
I have an FSX addon that automatically saves the flight every 4 minutes, and keeps 3 saves (so I can go back 12 minutes). ACARS will let you "flight resume" if you reload FSX close to where it crashed, although you will need to restart ACARS first.

Ah, good to know. I will check if there is also somethig like that for P3D.

Chris Liu (1001)

The registered version of FS UIPC will let you save backup flights. I'm using FSX Save (fsxsave104.zip) by Glynn Wilshaw which might work with P3D, not sure.

Clive Gulliver (1344)

I had OOM issues and finally was driven to do something about it. I now use the freeware Process Explorer to show me how much virtual memory I am using and then can save or reload (once you get to 4GB+ it's game over). It's interesting (and alarming) to watch virtual memory suddenly surge towards the red line as I approach a fancy payware airport with a lot of AI traffic. It's been very useful and I quote from http://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-oom-and-addon-vas-usage :
QuoteIf you're having VAS issues, the first step is going to be to determine how much VAS FSX.exe is actually using throughout your flight. Fortunately Microsoft has a tool that allows you to do exactly this called Process Explorer – you can download it at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Once you have it downloaded, unzip the files to a folder of your choosing and run the procexp.exe file. You're going to see a rather bewildering looking list of all the processes running on your computer with various columns full of parameter values that are constantly updating. The first thing you're going to want to do is enable the VAS display – to do  this, right click in the area where the column names are and choose "Select Columns". Go to the "Process Memory" tab in the window that pops up and put a check mark next to the one called "Virtual Size" and press OK. This is going to enable the column, but it will likely be at the far right of the Process Explorer display. We recommend maximizing the window and then dragging the Virtual Size column over so that it's right next to the CPU column so that you can easily see it. Click the top of the column where it says "Virtual Size" until you see a downward pointing arrow, which means the list is now sorted with the highest VAS using  applications first in the list. You can now resize the window to a more manageable size.

Now run FSX and monitor this number for the FSX.exe process while you use the simulator. It should quickly move to the top of the Virtual Size column as the sim loads. If you see it start to get close to 4,194,304K (this is 4GB in kilobytes) – you know you have a VAS problem.

...The other thing I did was to get the freeware SceneryConfigEditor from http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor. This, once set up, allows you to quickly disable all non-essential scenery (and especially photoscenery) from around the world before each flight. I recommend them both to help keep down virtual memory which is the problem behind OOM issues.

Hope this helps.

Admin edit: Fixed quote so it displays properly and merged posts

Chris Liu (1001)

I've been using SceneryConfigEditor for years to disable all addon airports I'm not visiting that flight, because if you overfly them, even at 30,000 ft, the whole thing is loaded in to memory and then FSX has no way of unloading it. P3Dv3 onwards is slightly different as it can recover some memory.

The other big one is "Ultra HD" textures, especially clouds, so I keep those turned down to in REX4 to around 1024. Orbx regions are big memory hogs too (not the Global stuff, although some people swear Vector is memory heavy I've had no problems with keeping it enabled). Photographic scenery personally and rather surprisingly I've not found much of an issue, I often fly with my UK VFR Photographic scenery volumes enabled.