• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

at times

Started by Steve Prowse, Jun 05, 2014 01:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Prowse (1046)

Ah don't you just wish the Q4 had its awaited HUD like now:
EGPD 041850Z 07006KT 030V100 3500 -RA BR FEW001 SCT002 BKN003 12/12 Q1005 TEMPO 1000

or should I give it a try????? ;)

Bye for now

Chris Liu (1001)

Looking at that METAR I'd say that's only CAT I conditions, so go for it  ;D If you get down to EGPD RWY16 ILS CAT I Decision Height (DH) and can't see the runway and/or approach lighting then perform the missed approach procedure and divert to an airfield with better visibility. Looking at the chart it should be 180 ft radio height, which is probably low enough to get you under the worst of the cloud.

For future reference:
CAT I minima is 800m visibility and 550m RVR Decision height >200 ft.
CAT II minima is 300m visibility and 370m RVR. Decision height >100 ft.
CAT IIIa has no visibility minima, just 200m RVR. Decision height >50 ft.
CAT IIIb has no visibility minima, just 75m RVR. Decision height <50 ft.

If visibility and/or RVR are greater than required for that CAT and the runway and aircraft ILS equipment serviceable to that same CAT, then you may attempt an approach down to the published DH with no external visual references. Please note at the time of writing Intercity's aircraft are only equipped to CAT II standards.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Thanks Chris, it's just that being that low in cloud seems for me, to make landing a difficult aircraft normally to land that much more difficult!  Still one day I might just be able to fly and land it in any weather!   :P 

Chris Liu (1001)

Leave the AP and APP mode engaged until you've can see the runway or reach DH, so you can focus your attention on monitoring the approach and setting the power appropriately.