• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Free ASN weather radar gauge

Started by Chris Liu, Mar 04, 2015 13:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Liu (1001)

Thought it was worth mentioning this, in case our ASN users hadn't heard about it yet.

Roland Herblot's weather radar gauge is the most realistic available now and it's free, although it requires ActiveSky Next. Get it from the Avsim file library as rolasnradar-v08.zip. You'll need Microsoft's VC++ 2013 x86 runtime too, if you don't already have it installed.

He's done a special version that integrates with the Majestic Q400 MFD: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/?p=3157396

And also popped it in the PMDG J41: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459050-another-radar-gauge-for-vc-window-usage/?p=3164774

ASN comes with a radar but it presents a "top down" view from a satellite, not the airborne type image Roland's gauge shows. You'll need to adjust gain and tilt to get an accurate picture and beware of radar shadow and ground clutter! There's a nice topic on the limitations of airborne radar at http://www.nwas.org/committees/avnwxcourse/radar_realities.htm

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I downloaded and installed it last night but didn't get a chance to fly and test it out. Hopefully tonight though. It will certainly be a great addition to the cockpit.

Cheers,
Serge

Steve Prowse (1046)

Nice one Chris, easy to install (J41 VC) and best of all it's free...I didn't know this was available until your post so many thanks.

Cheers

Steve

Chris Liu (1001)

As I don't own a copy of ASN, I'm keen to hear what you chaps think of this radar. Although in the J41 it should be an improvement on a blank screen!

I asked the developer, Roland, about the gauge's functionality:
Quote...my gauge display data supplied by the ASN API. How does this work:
- the gauge send the aircraft true heading, tilt angle and range settings
- the ASN API give back an array of precipitation density cells

So may I suggest that you ask to HiFi team?. My opinion is:
it does not simulates specific radar beam (with attenuation, radar shadow computing...), but only gives a representation of the precipitation density depicted by their weather engine in the sim, but I may be wrong.

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

I got around to doing a quick test with it tonight and it works very nicely. You can control the tilt and range using the mouse wheel over a couple of spots on the gauge. I couldn't however find a way to control the gain nor is there a way to turn it on/off independently. When the battery is turned on the weather radar powers up.

I've asked Roland about this over at the Avsim forum so I'll wait and see what he comes back with. Neither are deal breakers as this is still great for the price (free!) however being able to control the gain and turn it on/off would be nice additions if he could add them.

Cheers,
Serge

Chris Liu (1001)

That's a bit annoying, ought to have at least OFF, STBY, TEST and WX power states, although they should be easy to add.

The instruction manual shows gain is adjustable, but only when using a GPS unit to control the radar  :-\

You could always try Bryn's gauge and see if that works better for you, although he's discontinued development of it. IIRC you have to input payment details to download it, even if you don't actually donate any money for it, see https://gumroad.com/l/bryn  :-\

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

On page 6 of the Avsim thread another user is making a 2D shell for the unit which includes a mode button with "Off | Stdby | Test | On". Roland has added this functionality but hasn't released it publicly yet (just to a user to test). I'm not sure if this functionality will be available in the VC version though. Hopefully it will be.

Cheers,
Serge

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

Roland has posted version 0.9 of his weather radar on the Avsim file library and he has listened to our feedback. The radar now defaults to being off at start up and it also includes click spots for a mode button with "Off | Stdby | Test | On" and also to control the gain.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxgau&DLID=189265

Nice work Roland.

Cheers,
Serge

Chris Liu (1001)

For those of you that haven't yet heard, Active Sky 2016 (AS16) was released last week. I have it and can confirm that Roland's radar gauge works fine with it, although I haven't yet used it during a proper flight. AS16 once again includes it's own radar gauge which I've yet to try.

If you have a previous version of ActiveSky you will get an upgrade discount and I'd say it's well worth it (unless you're using ASN, as it isn't such a big step-up although I never used ASN myself).

As ever, Hifi are offering a week free trial of the product to anyone. If you do buy it, it's expensive (€46+VAT for the FSX version or €28+VAT if you're upgrading from an old version of Active Sky. ASCA is another €18+VAT. If you're patient there'll be a 30% sale eventually)!

The new ActiveSky Cloud Art (ASCA) sounds good on paper (it changes cloud textures and 3D models as you're flying to increase depiction accuracy) but I've not spent the extra $20 on it as I'm happy with REX4TD+SC for now (I run the weather theme wizard before starting the sim).