• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Adding New Types To The Fleet (E.g. Aerosoft Airbus X)?

Started by Michael Schmitt, Aug 05, 2013 20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Schmitt (1006)

Hi there!

I really enjoy flying for this great VA! I like the routes, and the MJC Q400 is definetly a fantastic addon to fly!

Anyways, it would be great to have a plane, capable of carrying more passengers on longer routes, in our fleet right now. 

I think the FS Labs Airbus will be THE Airbus addon for MSFS once it is released. But right now, nobody knows when this is going to happen.

And in its most recent version 1.10, the Aerosoft Airbus is a pure joy to fly! FS2Crew just added that last bit of immersion and I would like to kindly ask you to think about adding this beautiful aircraft to your fleet.

As much as I enjoy my study sims, like the Q400, the NGX, the Leonardo SH Maddog or the Coolsky DC9, the AXE in its current state is a really good aircraft. 

Thanks and greets from Germany,

Michael

Chris Liu (1001)

Hi Michael,

We've been thinking for a long time how to expand Intercity but we have many considerations; what our pilots want, what is realistic, what addons are available, etc. As you said, the FSL A320 may not be ready for many months (years?), so we could use the AXE A320 until the FSL is released.

But we're not sure the A320 is the right aircraft for us at the moment; it is twice as big as the Q400, so we wouldn't realistically be able to do 2x or 3x daily frequencies to most cities (Intercity is all about realism and lots of choice on flights <2 hours). The A319 is a much better size, but that could mean waiting longer (and paying more)! Also, the A319/A320 can't use London City Airport, so we have 4 options:

1. Ignore London (don't add any flights to/from London), use A319/A320 at other bases

3. Open another base in London for the A319/A320 (Gatwick?)

5. Get Wilco/feelThere E190 for London City and use A319/A320 at other bases

7. Get Wilco/feelThere E190 for all bases (and wait for FSL A320 and use it on longest and busiest flights only?)

What do you think about these options? Also, we are considering opening a new operating base; what is more important to you, a new aircraft type or a new base? 

PS: Everyone is welcome to contribute to this discussion, we'd love to hear what everyone thinks :)

PSS: You may find reading a previous, similar discussion useful

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Difficult issue really. The philosophy behind ICX seems to be shorter regional routes which suits those with limited time.

The next question is realism. Do we want a multi type fleet or as in the case of RW carriers do we concentrate on single fleet or maybe 2 tpyes?

The introduction of the Airbus could mean longer routes or just enhanced capacity on the more popular routes (LCY is out with this type)

As Chris mentioned the frequent services to destinations may be affected by using the larger types.

From a personal view having limited time I like the short hops in the Q400 particularly from LCY, however the introduction of maybe the E190/195 could bridge the seating gap between the Q400 and a 100 seat type.

With regards to new bases around London, STN and LGW are options, as long as you don't mind sharing with the RYR and EZY crowd!!

I wouldbe interested to hear other's views on this subject.

Best regards

Ben

Graham Woodley (1054)

Well I'm new, but I bought the MJC Q400 especially to fly with Intercity, I intend to learn it thoroughly and become expert with it, to eventually gain the confidence to take it online on a busy Friday evening in London airspace - I'm some way off that yet :)

So for me, I would prefer the Airline to prioritise bases expansion over additional types.

My choice for a new base would be EGGD Bristol. This would keep in line with the regional short-haul philosophy, would be easier for newbies to venture online, and usually has a good Vatsim online presence with a small group of resident fliers and controllers who I'm sure would welcome us sharing their airfield with them. It's also well provided for by UK2000 scenery.

But I'd go along with whatever the management team decide - it's good that they're taking time to consider how to expand and not rush it.

With just 3 flights in my logbook there's plenty to keep me busy for the time being :)

Cheers

Graham

Chris Hulme (1003)

The Airbus is capable of short haul and medium haul, bearing in mind at easyJet from Liverpool we operate from there to the Isle of man, not even a 20 min flight (EGGP-EGNS) and also operate on the same aircraft Manchester to Moscow, so defiantly a lot of scope for both short and long flights!

With regards to the Embraer, this as Ben pointed out could bridge the gap between the Q400 and a bigger aircraft!

One thing is certain we wont be rushing any decisions and whatever decision we make it will be made in the airlines best interest and also to the closest degree of realism that we can achieve!

Chris Liu (1001)

Okay, now Düsseldorf is online (no pun intended) we can start to look at future expansion plans. Next year we'll look at introducing a jet type of some sort, hopefully in time for the Spring/Summer 2014 schedule, which will bring many new destinations within two hours reach, although this depends on what happens in the addon aircraft market.

At this time we're looking at getting A32S operating out of all bases except London City (Option 1), but that is by no means finalised.

We're pretty much at the limit of what London City can handle in terms of aircraft movements, although I appreciate it's our most popular base with pilots and therefore as discussed previously we are also considering the deployment of Embraer E-jets (E190/E195) (Option 3) or opening another base in London that can accommodate the A32S, most likely Gatwick (Option 2).

Wherever we sort LCY out first or the rest of the network we haven't decided. We're unlikely to action any plans before the new year.

Johnathon Neilsen

IMO, Id avoid moving to a large aircraft. What makes Intercity unique is its rehigonal/shorthaul operations.

If you were wanting to add a jet to the fleet, the biggest id go is the E190. Anything smaller is just competing with the Q400. Nything larger will jut chew at the operating costs. The E190 fits the current markets, and after time if the market on the routes gow we can look at larger aircraft.

Just my two cents thrown into th discussion.... :)

Paul Regimbal (1002)

The E190 seems like the perfect evolution for us.  It fits into all our bases, has a respectable range (enough to fulfill our short range operations) and supply the ample capacity for our more traveled destinations.  We could swap out a few Dash 8 flights for E190s to free up aircraft movements at LCY and perhaps increase the number of destinations we offer as an airline.

From a business standpoint, the E190 is a big of an aging jet (in need of a refresh).  if we were to take on 2-3 year leases on a number of E190s, this would buy us more time to really evaluate new aircraft coming on to the market without tying up so much capital into old jets when we are looking for a fresh new face to the fleet.  I really like the E190 but I'm excited at a number of new prospects that are up and coming that could really enhance the fleet.  The E190 like mentioned before frees up a lot of aircraft movements by boasting up to a 40-50% increase in seat capacity.  This will open some slots at LCY and allow us to widen our customer base by offering even more destinations from the lovely LCY.

There are two future options that I'm very curious to see how they pan out and they are the E190/E195 v2 from Embraer and the CS100 and CS300 from Bombardier.

CS100 - With a maximum 108 pax (2 class configuration) up to 2950nm using only 4800ft at MTOW for takeoff and 4449 ft at MLW.  Even if there is a slight variation of these proposed specs ahead of the 2015 Q1 launch date, that's still pretty good!  Of course we will cross that bridge when we get there.

E190v2 - Very similar to E190v1 with a refreshed interior and cockpit, slight increases to capacity and range.  Boasting a  5900ft takeoff run at MTOW and 4100ft landing run at MLW.  This aircraft only increases capacity by 2 in a 2-class configuration but increasing range from 1800nm to 2800nm.  That's an insane improvement on fuel range.

At the end of the day I don't think it's very cost efficient and good business judgement at this stage to open up a 2nd base of operations in the same city to accommodate a new aircraft to the fleet.  Considering we are a new airline, it would be good business judgement at the end of the day to use what we have to achieve our goals.

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Those new Bombardier CS100 and 300s look seriously sexy! Perhaps an all Bombardier fleet will help keep training costs down too.

Hopefully those Wiley Canadians can sort us out a discount hey Paul? ;)

Petr Witt (1124)

Just curious, boys. But why not to consider the good old ship BAe 146/Avro RJ? Choice is either CLS or QW - both worth to fly and LCY approved... ;)  To me, this looks much better than CRJ 700/900 X. Just my personal feeling.  :P

with regards,

Petr

Chris Liu (1001)

We considered and discussed several other types at length in other threads (such as http://viaintercity.com/forums/general-discussion/adding-the-upcoming-aerosoft-crj700900/msg500/#msg500) and came to the conclusion that the Avro RJ, Fokker 70/100 and even the CRJ are long in the tooth; European operators have or are retiring them in favour of more modern designs (e.g. BA, BE, LX, TF).

As a Briton I am rather fond of the Avro RJ, but getting a fleet of 20 year old, four engined jets just doesn't fit with our realism ethos. BAe realised this in 2001 when they cancelled the RJX.

Petr Witt (1124)

Oh, I see. Good point and sure I agree with you, Chris. Anyway, I am totally happy with this Q400 and nothing could make me happier.  ;)
Enjoy the weekend!
Petr

Tobias Gruber (1141)

hey guys new hire here...already off to no good  8)

to bring the discussion back to the A320 and to what mr. liu said previously about the aerosoft AXE and the FSL:

why not simply use both addons? i mean from a purley operational and flying standpoint there will be pretty much zero difference between the two..but it would give people a choice of what addon they wish to use

from what i can tell we already did that in the past with the Q400 (the old dreamwings) so having both addons gives us greater choice and flexibility...

just my 2cts on the matter  :)

regards
Tobias

Chris Liu (1001)

Welcome aboard Tobias  :)

You raise a good point, which I've discussed at http://viaintercity.com/forums/general-discussion/adding-the-upcoming-aerosoft-crj700900/msg500/#msg500 but to summarise:
QuoteIf we added the A319/A320 we would support both FS Labs and Aerosoft (probably Wilco and Project Airbus too), but the intention would be to "ride the momentum" of the FSL release, as we did with the Majestic Q400.
QuoteWe'll take our time before we finalise a decision (taking in to account discussions with our existing pilots of course), because I've only got it in me to add one type this year, so it needs to be the right choice!

Steve Prowse (1046)

I love turboprops :  Why do we need any type of Jet here?  Can we consider the Twotter or The BN and open up Scotland perhaps?  Just a thought after all said and done there are loads of VAs for Jets but afer all the is only ONE Intercity!!  Props paradise!!!! ;D ;D