• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

[Sat 14 Dec 1700z VATSIM] Fly and see Santa in Lapland!

Started by Graham Bannister, Dec 05, 2019 17:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Bannister (1171)

Fly and see Santa takes place on the 14th of December starting at 17:00z.
Intercity VA will be participating, and all pilots are invited to join us.
We will be flying from Edinburgh (EGPH) to Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland (EFRO) in the Airbus A320 series.
You are welcome to use the A319 if you wish.
The route is as follows:
GRICE P600 PTH UP600 ADN UZ107 BEREP Z107 FLS Z286 OSMUM DCT SOLKA DCT OSS DCT BEGDO DCT BESLA M607 NEMGU

Remember to put "VASOPS" in your flightplan Remarks.

A charter will be added to the ACARS system around the time of the event.

We will be in the Discord from around 1600z, and aim for 16:30 for the first departure. Longs holds are inevitable due to the event's popularity, so be sure to carry 3 extra tons of fuel in addition to what Simbrief gives you.

Be sure to thoroughly read the event guide here:
http://santa.vatsim-scandinavia.org/rovaniemi.php

We hope to see you there soon. Merry Christmas!

Chris Liu (1001)

Thanks to Tom David 1461 for suggesting this to us :)

Jan Naslund (1795)

Hi,

Sounds fun!!! I have to make sure to bring tons of extra fuel, turn deicing on and practice holdings :)

I would like to do it in the Dash8 but i am not sure it has the range. Anyway, the route takes us past the place i grew up in northern Sweden. Near to ESNO.

For Rovaneimi charts, finnish eAIP:
https://ais.fi/ais/eaip/en/

Br / Jan

Jan Naslund (1795)

Hi,

So , is this on?

If so, what departure time should we shoot for from EGPH?

Br / Jan

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Jan Naslund on Dec 12, 2019 20:27
Hi,

So , is this on?

If so, what departure time should we shoot for from EGPH?

Br / Jan

Based on the routing you can use the GRICE SID

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-12-05-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

Jan Naslund (1795)

Hi,

Yes, that's good. My plan looks like this:
GRICE P600 PTH UP600 ADN UZ107 BEREP Z107 FLS Z108 BESLA M607 NEMGU

I am trying to understand holdings in the Airbus. Not so used to flying that plane. I plan to bring an extra 6,2 Tones of fuel. Should be approximately 2 hrs 30 mins worth of holding :)

Normally i use the ICX- flight number as the call sign on Vatsim and in this case ICX99A but if we are more people flying , we need to adapt it a bit. We can not all use  the same call sign. Any ideas?

Br /Jan

Tom David (1461)

Quote from: Jan Naslund on Dec 14, 2019 13:43
Hi,

Yes, that's good. My plan looks like this:
GRICE P600 PTH UP600 ADN UZ107 BEREP Z107 FLS Z108 BESLA M607 NEMGU

I am trying to understand holdings in the Airbus. Not so used to flying that plane. I plan to bring an extra 6,2 Tones of fuel. Should be approximately 2 hrs 30 mins worth of holding :)

Normally i use the ICX- flight number as the call sign on Vatsim and in this case ICX99A but if we are more people flying , we need to adapt it a bit. We can not all use  the same call sign. Any ideas?

Br /Jan

You use your pilot ID as a callsign. So mine for example will be ICX1461

Jan Naslund (1795)

Hi,

Ok, will do. I see on the event web page that they suggest a slightly different route:
GRICE P600 PTH UP600 ADN UZ107 BEREP Z107 FLS Z286 OSMUM  SOLKA  OSS  BEGDO  BESLA M607 NEMGU

It crosses over a lot of airways and i think that following Z108 from FLS to BESLA is more straight. You don't have to go via OSS VOR if you fly Z108.

Anyway, lets see what happens :)

Br / Jan

Tom David (1461)

Quote from: Jan Naslund on Dec 14, 2019 15:23
Hi,

Ok, will do. I see on the event web page that they suggest a slightly different route:
GRICE P600 PTH UP600 ADN UZ107 BEREP Z107 FLS Z286 OSMUM  SOLKA  OSS  BEGDO  BESLA M607 NEMGU

It crosses over a lot of airways and i think that following Z108 from FLS to BESLA is more straight. You don't have to go via OSS VOR if you fly Z108.

Anyway, lets see what happens :)

Br / Jan

Those routes are set by vatsim scandinavia to ensure flow

Jan Naslund (1795)

Hi,

Ensure holding more like :)

Just joking! It was  a fun event but i only saw 2 other Intercity aircraft and one of them disappeared over the North sea.
ICX1461 and i was at EGPH and i had made all my plans , prepared everything and not being used to the Airbus, i pressed the wrong button and everything died. Was unable to get this back. Had to reboot my pc to get the stuff working.
Now ICX1461 had departed 30 mins ago and it was me (ICX1795) and ICX1785 that departed in sequence. We were flying the same route and were quite close to eachother when he disappered off VAT Spy.

Over Norway i was told to enter a new routing in the FMS and this was very stressful as i am not used to the FMS on the Airbus. Managed to botch it 4 times before i finally managed to enter the correct route :)

I brought 2,5 hours worth of extra fuel on top of the normal block fuel and i burnt 1,5 hrs of it in 4 holds. The longest hold was over OSS which is a city called Östersund( Did my military service there :) )

Due to some weirdness (or SBK) when i left one hold and did direct to in the FMS, the plane went directly there but whwen i clicked on the waypoint name in the FMS, i could not see any HOLD button to press.

I one hold i could actually set it up using the FMS (HOLD button visible) but the controller insisted on 2 min legs and when i tried to change from the default 1.5 to 2.0 , the FMS woouldn't accept it and a ring was painted on the flight display. Really weird.
Because of all this , i went old schoold and did the holds manually using the hdg bug and a clock. Good thing that the winds are depicted on the flight display so it was easy to calculate the correct angles.

Finally it was my turn and i was cleared for ILS RWY 21 but the diamonds for the loc and gs never came (I had LS turned on) so i had to make a missed approach. Back in the approach flow again and on the second attempt i could capture the ils and nailed the landing :)

I tried to select the flight ICX99A in ACARS but when i clicked on the small symbol, nothing happened so the flight was not recored in ACARSS. Normally a new screen is presented and i can see progress.

As an Xplane11 flyer, I prefer the Zibo 737 and the Dash8. At least i think i know what i am doing :)
Also a bit sad that there was not more Intercity pilots flying in this event. Maybe next time :)

Best Regards / Jan

Chris Hulme (1003)

Sounds like quite an adventure, if you send me your flight off and on blocks times Ill file manually for you

Quote from: Jan Naslund on Dec 15, 2019 20:45
Hi,

Ensure holding more like :)

Just joking! It was  a fun event but i only saw 2 other Intercity aircraft and one of them disappeared over the North sea.
ICX1461 and i was at EGPH and i had made all my plans , prepared everything and not being used to the Airbus, i pressed the wrong button and everything died. Was unable to get this back. Had to reboot my pc to get the stuff working.
Now ICX1461 had departed 30 mins ago and it was me (ICX1795) and ICX1785 that departed in sequence. We were flying the same route and were quite close to eachother when he disappered off VAT Spy.

Over Norway i was told to enter a new routing in the FMS and this was very stressful as i am not used to the FMS on the Airbus. Managed to botch it 4 times before i finally managed to enter the correct route :)

I brought 2,5 hours worth of extra fuel on top of the normal block fuel and i burnt 1,5 hrs of it in 4 holds. The longest hold was over OSS which is a city called Östersund( Did my military service there :) )

Due to some weirdness (or SBK) when i left one hold and did direct to in the FMS, the plane went directly there but whwen i clicked on the waypoint name in the FMS, i could not see any HOLD button to press.

I one hold i could actually set it up using the FMS (HOLD button visible) but the controller insisted on 2 min legs and when i tried to change from the default 1.5 to 2.0 , the FMS woouldn't accept it and a ring was painted on the flight display. Really weird.
Because of all this , i went old schoold and did the holds manually using the hdg bug and a clock. Good thing that the winds are depicted on the flight display so it was easy to calculate the correct angles.

Finally it was my turn and i was cleared for ILS RWY 21 but the diamonds for the loc and gs never came (I had LS turned on) so i had to make a missed approach. Back in the approach flow again and on the second attempt i could capture the ils and nailed the landing :)

I tried to select the flight ICX99A in ACARS but when i clicked on the small symbol, nothing happened so the flight was not recored in ACARSS. Normally a new screen is presented and i can see progress.

As an Xplane11 flyer, I prefer the Zibo 737 and the Dash8. At least i think i know what i am doing :)
Also a bit sad that there was not more Intercity pilots flying in this event. Maybe next time :)

Best Regards / Jan