• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

PMDG J41 and P3D v2 2.5v is it possiple or will be?

Started by Piotr Kaminski, Aug 15, 2015 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Piotr Kaminski (1367)

Hi guys,
My name is Peter just joined your airlines, doing my first flight to Sion :) (not many airlines has that destination) was wandering if any one of you knows if its possible to install PMDG jetstreem on P3d v2 2.5 or?

rgds
Peter

Chris Liu (1001)

My understanding is it is possible (although against PMDG EULA) but IAS hold won't work.

Piotr Kaminski (1367)

Piotr Kaminski (1367)

I'm getting unable to locate fsx installation will terminate, do I need to download new build from PMDG or there is somekind of override way?

Chris Liu (1001)

PMDG do not officially support the J41 in FSX:SE or P3D yet. They have said they are likely to update it in the future, but it's low priority.

I think you need an import tool to get it working in P3D at the moment. PMDG won't help you with that because it's against the J41's EULA; they recently had a crackdown on people using their products in P3D without having first purchased the appropriate licence. You might find the discussion at http://www.avsim.com/topic/469968-js41-wont-detect-fsx-st/ helpful, it would seem to suggest that creating an FSX path in your system's registry should solve your problem.

Chris Liu (1001)

So after over two years of wilful silence from PMDG regarding the future of the J41, I read this on their official Facebook page in the comments section under a post about 747 and 777 updates:

No timescales given but it seems there is hope for the only decent circa 30 seat addon for FSX-based simulators. Given that most of their other products have had more substantial mentions though, I expect it is a long way off and could potentially drop off the table at any time.

Chris Liu (1001)

So a further official update, this time from Rob Randazzo himself, and I'm afraid it's not great news:
QuoteThis officially completes the process of getting our core product line into line with P3D v4- and we can begin shifting focus to evaluating the J41 (unlikely to be converted)
The full press release is at https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/516189-28jul17-updates-for-737-747-777-and-finally-the-pmdg-737-600700-expansion-is-available/

Chris Liu (1001)

It seems PMDG have had a change of heart and the J41 will be in P3Dv4 soon!
Official statement at https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1578407538865691&id=165758250130634

I'm slightly concerned PMDG have binned the FMS because above it has been replaced by the weather radar. And where the WXR was appears to be some variety of GPS, but I can only see the top edge. Hopefully this is just an option for third party GPS (e.g. F1 GTN) as I rather liked the GNS XLS, but I can understand how ditching the FMS may reduce the porting work involving; it should be noted the FMS was optional on the real aircraft, on many there's just the backup COM1 radio in its place.

Chris Liu (1001)

So a further update with information garnered from various PMDG official sources: The GNS-XLS FMS was developed by a third party and will not be ported to P3Dv4, it has been replaced by a bodged-in PMDG Garmin GNS500 (similar to the unit in default aircraft) although the much more capable the Flight1 GTN750 is integrated (a separate $65 purchase). There is currently no word on RealityXP GNS530v2 integration nor ActiveSky's weather radar.

It's shaping up to be pretty much straight port aside from the GPS unit so don't expect new features beyond some P3D lighting.

Enrico Lazzaroni (1604)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Oct 06, 2017 10:16
It's shaping up to be pretty much straight port aside from the GPS unit so don't expect new features beyond some P3D lighting.

So, Chris, no FMS? That is silly, you buy a new product to lose some of its original features? I can't see myself flying the JS4100 with the GPS, I'll stick with the FSX version.

Ian Robson (1114)

I think I'm ok with the removal of the GNS FMS, assuming that I can use Aivlasoft EFB to inject the flight plan into the standard GPS (I don't own the F1 GTN and have no plans to purchase it).

I'll definitely be getting the P3d v4 version of this wonderful aircraft once it is released.
Regards,
Ian

Chris Liu (1001)

I don't see why that wouldn't work, the only issue would be if your SID or arrival runway was changed by ATC how would you go about go about reprogramming that or would you just have to go raw data using the chart and pick up the LNAV later?

Ian Robson (1114)

Hi Chris,

If you change the flight plan in EFB overwrites the default flightplan and it is reflected immediately in the default GPS. I used to do this for the assigned STAR, i.e. add it once assigned by ATC during cruise/descent, (At least that is how it worked in FSX, haven't tried it in P3Dv4 yet)

The default GPS just sees the SID\STAR as part of the flight plan, so there is no vertical awareness just lateral. You need to use the vertical constraints shown within EFB and manually manage your descent.
Regards,
Ian

Chris Liu (1001)

In case anyone here missed if, the J41 got a mention from Robert Randazzo in the "[12APR19] A weekend Two-fer, P3D v4.5 update thoughts and 73s and 4s and 7s, oh MY!" press release.
QuoteRight now, all development priority is on the NG3, 747 and Global Flight Operations- but the 777 is going to get a few updates...
PMDG BAe JS4100 Updates:
We are not currently planning any development time on this product due to severe problems we ran into while trying to upgrade it to become compatible with Prepar3D. There WILL come a time when we circle back for it, but it is unlikely to happen in the near term.
Testers have indicated those issues centre around the geared turboprop engine simulation. Given how far down the queue it is and the PMDG definition of "soon" I doubt we'll see a P3Dv4 capable JS41 this year, it'll probably start at P3Dv5. Indeed in a separate post he commented
QuoteWe have our P3D dev plan nailed down until 2023