• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Ok...what have you done with it?

Started by Richard Myers, Apr 17, 2015 16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Myers

Good afternoon!

New pilot here looking for the freeware J41 package?  There is a "line" through it on the download page with no link to a file?

Is it still available somewhere?

I would like to start with the J41 if I could but don't have the PMDG package.

Thank you.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Im sure Chris will correct me if Im wrong but I believe there are no JS41 freeware for FSX so at present there is only the PMDG model available for us to paint.

Chris Liu (1001)

Welcome aboard Richard! Unfortunately we were unable to source any suitable freeware Jetstream 41s, the only one available is an FS2002 AI model by Tom Woods  :( You're welcome to use that model if you can find it, but we don't have any textures for it.

EDIT: Found a few over at avsim, but no idea if they're any good or not, you can find them at http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=jetstream&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search

Richard Myers

Thank you for the replies!

I'll take a look at the PMDG model.

I generally try to keep my Flight Simming as close to "CTRL+E" as a I can.  Free time doesn't really give me the opportunity to  indulge in the really high-end aircraft that are available as much I would like to immerse myself in them!

Having just stepped into the crew-room it really isn't my place to say but have you considered looking for a alternative to the J41 that would offer a freeware option?

Chris Liu (1001)

I looked for a freeware J41 when we opened nearly two years ago (it was the first aircraft we operated) but couldn't find any that were decent. No one has expressed any interest until now, which is why I never painted the Tom Woods one.

Quote from: Richard Myers on Apr 20, 2015 10:48Having just stepped into the crew-room it really isn't my place to say but have you considered looking for a alternative to the J41 that would offer a freeware option?
That's a perfectly reasonable question :) We considered alternative types (e.g. Jetstream 31, Saab 340, Dornier 328, EMB 120) but they throw the schedule out because they have very different performance and/or suffer from the same lack of decent sim versions. Of course we can downsize (B1900D) or size up (ATR42) but then we're so distant from the original idea it's hard to see the point.

The PMDG J41 is about as far away from CTRL+E as you can get so I would advise against purchasing it (whilst you can easily start engines and be fully ready within 5 minutes, you'll need to study for hours first otherwise it'll constantly be on fire or covered in ice ;D )!

The only freeware J41s I know of are the aforementioned http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=jetstream&CatID=fs2004ac&Go=Search and Tom Wood's AI model. If you can find a decent freeware J41 package you favour, I don't mind repainting it when I get time (that could be a few months though).

UPDATE: Intercity ACARS2 will permit substituting the Jetstream 41 with the Saab 340 as the performance is roughly similar, although we aren't providing textures for any (for XPlane there's Leading Edge Simulations (LES) Take Command Saab 340A. For P3D and XP11 there is also Carenado's S340).

Richard Myers

Chris

Thanks for the reply!

Freeware Turbo-Prop aircraft are in short supply!

I'ill likely jump into the Dash 8 as the Dreamwings version is great to fly once you get the hang of it!

Thank you for taking the time to reply and your kind offer of a repaint!