• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

My first flight in the JS41 (Including a video)

Started by Chris Hulme, Jun 20, 2014 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Hulme (1003)

OK, So got my hands on the PMDG Jetstream 41 and followed the tutorial...

My first engine start ended up melting the engines...whoops!

My 2nd attempt, with the very knowledgeable Mr Liu on Skype..I suceeded in flying the JS41, but sadly after landed melted a further set of engines after using the reverse thrust!

http://youtu.be/69b-uOTQeFo

Keith Giannoni (1101)

Welcome to the J41 gang!!! I've had it for a couple of weeks now. It may be four years old but it's the best prop I have. Wait til you try to land it!!! I might put some help notes in this forum if it's worth while especially around the FMC  if members are planning on flying on line. Those who have had the luxury of the PMDG and to a lesser extent Dash Q400 FMC will need to work a little harder with this one.   Enjoy.

Keith

Chris Hulme (1003)

Completed my first Intercity JS41 flight, even did it on VATSIM!

http://viaintercity.com/pirep.php?pirepid=900

Screenshots are being uploaded as I type!

Jim Caudell (1163)

Nice landing,  :D
Looks like you pushed the throttles forward, pushing the EGT way over into the Fire range.
If you hit and hold F2, it will move the props into reverse and the spoilers will deploy, and no roasted engine with it.

Great plane to fly, I love it.

I think I have a couple of slightly used (little fire damage lol) for sale if you need some more for a sing a long.
Hope the head mechanic has not found them hee hee

Chris Liu (1001)

I straightened him out on Skype in the end Jim! He's since logged 5 flights in it now (the vast majority I believe without incident ;D ).

I must be the only person on this Earth who didn't unintentionally kill a PMDG J41 engine within their first 5 flights. I think that cements my status as the world's most boring man, I recall doing a lot of reading before I bought and flew her! I even looked up J41 manuals to understand how NTS, APR and ICE AOA worked because the PMDG manual didn't detail them very well  ::) If you have any questions about the J41, I am probably the best person to ask baring someone who actually works on the things!

Chris Hulme (1003)

Quote from: Jim Caudell on Aug 10, 2014 16:40
Nice landing,  :D
Looks like you pushed the throttles forward, pushing the EGT way over into the Fire range.
If you hit and hold F2, it will move the props into reverse and the spoilers will deploy, and no roasted engine with it.

Great plane to fly, I love it.

I think I have a couple of slightly used (little fire damage lol) for sale if you need some more for a sing a long.
Hope the head mechanic has not found them hee hee

It was a combination of 2 things, firstly I pulled the prop lever back to Taxi too early and I advnaced my throttles too far, blowing the EGT limit! Whoops!! ive not blown any up since!

Greg Marshall (1151)

I'm loving the J41 not flown the Dash 8 at Intercity yet (although I own it im trying to build hours in the J41 and move up to the Dash 8 when I hit Senior First Officer, that's the goal anyway)  :)

Chris Liu (1001)

The Q400 is difficult to hand fly and land nicely, but in almost every other area the Jetstream 41 is actually harder, starting with it is definitely in at the deep end!

Greg Marshall (1151)

That's true Chris! Suppose I am just used to the J41 since owning it from the day PMDG released it.
Does that mean because the J41 is harder I can get captain early?  ;)

This is my first VA so its going to take a while, loving it tho!  :)

Chris Liu (1001)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Aug 11, 2014 11:39
I even looked up J41 manuals to understand how NTS, APR and ICE AOA worked because the PMDG manual didn't detail them very well  ::)
I've now added information about the APR and ICE AOA systems to the J41 FAQ, just in case anyone else is in the dark about them (as I once was). Also added cruise altitude guidance discussed in another thread.

Keith Giannoni (1101)

Chris,

Is it me but I can't see it in the JS41 FAQs?

Keith

Chris Hulme (1003)

Jim Caudell (1163)

Thank you for the added information  :D
I burnt a couple of engines when I first got the J41, had not realized I had pushed the EGT limit that far. Have not done it since.

I love this aircraft. I got it as soon as I found it, and it is one of the reasons for joining Intercity.
Because you use the J41.
I have downloaded the Eastern time table, before finding this group.

It still my favorite plane to fly.