• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

Holding

Started by Steve Prowse, Feb 14, 2015 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Prowse (1046)

I've just found out that the HOLD function on the J41 is inop....found an old post from the boss on AVSIM 2010 I think,  in any case  I'm still  starting to warm to the J41.  Anyway I've been using this HOLDING CALCULATOR  http://www.flightutilities.com/download_prg.aspx for ages now it really helps to visualize any impending holds and is a great training tool...  Sorry if this is old news for some of you...

Cheers

Chris Liu (1001)

I turn up all over the interwebs! Never seen that tool before, certainly useful, I'll pop this in to the J41 forums later. Glad to hear she's growing on you, it's a very different beast to the Q400.

It would be nice if PMDG added HOLD functionality to the J41 FMS with the forthcoming P3D compatibility update but they've made it clear in the past they won't be adding any new features to the J41.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Feb 17, 2015 12:07
I turn up all over the interwebs! Never seen that tool before, certainly useful, I'll pop this in to the J41 forums later. Glad to hear she's growing on you, it's a very different beast to the Q400.

It would be nice if PMDG added HOLD functionality to the J41 FMS with the forthcoming P3D compatibility update but they've made it clear in the past they won't be adding any new features to the J41.

You do Chris I've just seen your posts at FS2CREW forums.   Well I couldn't resist our discount from FS2CREW so I've gone ahead and bought it (button version, I always feel awkward taking to my PC )....I've had a couple flights with it..and well the jury is out on this one.  I guess it's an acquired taste;  but I'm finding it more of a hindrance than help at the moment.  I'm going to carry on using it and hopefully I will acquire the taste...eventually.  Watch this space.   Yeah the hold function would be good but really it's no big problem...I do think though, overall, the Q4 is much more difficult to fly and control in all segments of flight: just my thoughts.

Steve

Benjamin Hall (1007)

The q4 bless her is an ar#e to fly. Love her though.

Chris Hulme (1003)

I found the voice version of FS2Crew a bit fiddly, especially on VATSIM as if your talking to the controller and need to change something, it gets a bit confused!

Steve Prowse (1046)

On the return leg from ELLX-EGBB....I thought I'd try some of FS2CREW functions, I press the PA button and then the Drinks request and....FSX has stopped working....ahhhh, over an hour in...I think me and FS2CREW are just about to part company.  Does anyone use it??

Steve

Sergio De Ceglie (1143)

I purchased FS2Crew for the JS41 when it first came out and later on also purchased the version for the NGX. I've never had any issues with them (only used the voice version). I think that they are a fine piece of programing and helped me learn the systems and procedures of the aircraft quite well. That being said I no longer use them (or haven't in quite a while) as I found I wasn't left with much to do in the cockpit so now prefer to do everything myself. I didn't end up purchasing the Dash 8 version for this reason (although admittedly I did get close to pulling the trigger).

Quote from: Chris Hulme on Feb 22, 2015 11:06
I found the voice version of FS2Crew a bit fiddly, especially on VATSIM as if your talking to the controller and need to change something, it gets a bit confused!

When I used FS2Crew on Vatsim I made the FS2Crew soft mute button the same as my Vatsim Pilot Client PTT button so when I spoke on Vatsim FS2Crew was muted. This generally worked well for me although on the odd occasion the FS2Crew copilot and Vatsim controller would say something at the same time making it difficult to understand what the controller said.

Cheers,
Serge

Steve Prowse (1046)

Quote from: Sergio De Ceglie on Feb 24, 2015 05:52
I purchased FS2Crew for the JS41 when it first came out and later on also purchased the version for the NGX. I've never had any issues with them (only used the voice version). I think that they are a fine piece of programing and helped me learn the systems and procedures of the aircraft quite well. That being said I no longer use them (or haven't in quite a while) as I found I wasn't left with much to do in the cockpit so now prefer to do everything myself. I didn't end up purchasing the Dash 8 version for this reason (although admittedly I did get close to pulling the trigger).

I think it's a sound issue...may be a conflict on resources,  the other issue I'm having is that I don't seem able to increase the volume of the FO even though I've got the volume control turned to max i can barely hear it. 

Steve   

Chris Liu (1001)

Tbh, I can't hear myself think over the J41, TPE331s are notoriously loud! I do have a fix for that however, I adjusted all the interior engine sound files to be quieter. I can get them uploaded for you if that would help.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Cheers Chris, yes I would very much appreciate if you would up load your engine tweak...

all the best
Steve

Chris Liu (1001)

Okay Steve, I'll get it uploaded soon, although it may be a few days as my PC isn't actually at my house (long story...)

Steve Prowse (1046)

No problem Chris.  Many thanks

All the best

Steve

Chris Liu (1001)

Quote from: Steve Prowse on Feb 24, 2015 13:19
I would very much appreciate if you would up load your engine tweak...
I've not forgotten about this, but the files are on my FS PC which still doesn't have a screen and isn't at my house! I'm hoping to have it back up and running in just over a week, then I'll upload them. I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

Steve Prowse (1046)

Quote from: Chris Liu on Mar 10, 2015 14:25
I've not forgotten about this, but the files are on my FS PC which still doesn't have a screen and isn't at my house! I'm hoping to have it back up and running in just over a week, then I'll upload them. I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms.

No worries Chris...I know you're in the middle of moving etc.  I hope you your family are soon settled in.

Cheers
Steve

Chris Liu (1001)

You can download my reduced volume J41 engine sounds from http://viaintercity.com/forums/discounts/pmdg-j41-reduced-engine-volume

Sorry this took AGES, but I've only just setup my PC since disconnecting it on 30th January! The desk is massive (it's 1.75m long, so I can't put in front of the window as planned) so now I don't know where I can put my beloved keyboard now (it's a Yamaha PSR-S700 for those synth geeks out there, although I can't play it quite as well as that chap)