• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

ACARS and Pilotedge

Started by Robert Yunque, Mar 13, 2017 05:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Yunque (1548)

Hello,
I have been working on my Dash8 all week, trying to get the controllers working right.  I found that little tool that is offered here and it worked beautifully. Made everything soooo easy.  I really appreciate being able to use that.
I tried to do my first Intercity flight, but all went wrong.  I haven't been flying on Vatsim, so I thought I would try it, but couldn't log in. I had re-activated my ID per the instructions, but something must still be wrong.
Then I tried the flight with the ACARS and I must have done something wrong, because it didn't record the flight.
Oh well, there is always another day. I enjoyed a nice flight from EGBB to EGPH, with a darn good landing on Rwy 24. 
Lots of other mistakes though.  My flying with the Dash8 needs a lot more practice.

Thank you,
Bob

Chris Liu (1001)

Welcome aboard Bob!

Sorry to hear you had some teething issues, unfortunately I can't find any record of your flight to add it to your logbook (we can see incomplete flight records and complete them for you); it seems you may not have set ACARS recording, ensure you press the "Begin Flight" button and if ACARS doesn't make a tone during engine start then you can manually select "Off Blocks" and that will set it it going. There's a step-by-step guide at http://viaintercity.com/forums/acars/acars-user-manual/ if you need further assistance.

Don't worry too much about VATSIM to start with, trying to handle that on top of ACARS and the Q400 can be quite demanding!

Good luck and happy flying  :) If you're still having issues, let us know and we'll help as much as we can.

Chris Hulme (1003)

Welcome onboard, if you have the date, flight number and your departure and arrival times I can add this to your logbook manually.

If you need anymore help with ACARS just give us a shout on here and we will be more than happy to help!

Robert Yunque (1548)

Hello,
Thank you for your help.
I'll have a go at it again and see if I can get the ACARS right.  I put a ticket into Vatsim to find out why I can't log in, but haven't heard anything from them yet.
The flight was:

ICX0164  DH8D
13MAR2017\RELEASE 21:25UTC ARRIVAL 22:51UTC
ROUTING:
EGBB/33 - TNT1K TNT TIPIL N57 POL N601 ESKDO TWED3A - EGPH/24

I would appreciate you logging it in for me.  At least I'll have my first one count for something  ;)

Thank you,
Bob

Chris Hulme (1003)

Robert Yunque (1548)

Thank you Chris.  I'm looking forward to trying it again very soon.

Bob

Benjamin Hall (1007)

Belated welcome to Intercity, Bob.
Out of interest do you use p3d or FSX?

Robert Yunque (1548)

Quote from: Benjamin Hall on Mar 15, 2017 18:02
Belated welcome to Intercity, Bob.
Out of interest do you use p3d or FSX?

Thank you Benjamin.  I appreciate that very much.
I use mostly P3Dv3, but I do have FSXSE installed and will use it for aircraft that are not designed for P3D.  I also use X-Plane 10 a lot.  I have X-Plane 11, but haven't used it that much because I have a hardware MCP that works with the IXEG 733, but only in X-Plane 10.
Its nice to make your acquaintance Benjamin.
I'm having a lot of fun learning the Majestic Dash 8 Pro. It is a really fun aircraft to fly that can get away from you pretty easily if you start getting distracted.

Benjamin Hall (1007)

The dash has punished me on many occasions when I have let my mind wander!
I have p3d v3.4 and sometimes find that I have to use manual on/off blocks unlike v2.5
Certainly is a fun machine and this is a small but very friendly VA
I'm sure you will enjoy it here!

Robert Yunque (1548)

Thank you Benjamin.  I believe I will too.
You guys don't do any Pilotedge flights, do you?
I fly on Pilotedge every now and then, but I want to start using Vatsim more too. (that's where this VA will work really nice).

I haven't had much chance to fly yet this week (darn).  I have been working a lot, which is a good thing.  May try again over the weekend.
My two favorite aircraft right now are the Dash and the FSL A320, and both of those are used in this VA for shorter flights, which really appeals to me a lot. I rarely have time for anything more than a couple of hours.
The A320 almost flies itself, but this Dash requires a little more attentiveness for sure, but it handles really nice.

Bob

Chris Liu (1001)

We're "network agnostic", you're welcome to use any online multiplayer network you wish. However, we have an official partnership with VATSIM and maintain ties with IVAO. You can fly on Pilotedge too, but I think they only cover West Coast USA?

Robert Yunque (1548)

Hello Chris,
Pilotedge has extended their coverage to most of the western United States, so there is a lot of city pair choices with many larger airports and different kinds of terrain.
Will the ACARS work still for Pilotedge?
I will also be flying Vatsim, if they can fix my login problem.  They still have not answered my support ticket.  I may have to make another one.

Thank you,
Bob

Chris Liu (1001)

ACARS communicates with flight sim via FSUIPC, the network you're flying on (or offline) makes no difference to what it sees.

Robert Yunque (1548)

Thank you Chris.  That's great.  :)
That will open up a lot of options.

Bob

Robert Yunque (1548)

Hello,
I just made my first ever flight on Vatsim. There wasn't many controllers, but I didn't do to bad with the one I had.  It was a real learning experience.
I was wondering how I can use the ACARS to do some flights on Pilotedge.  I see that it seems to only accept European routes.  Is there a way to put in a custom route and have it log the flight?
I would like to jump back and forth from Vatsim to Pilotedge with European and US flights.  Pilotedge has really expanded their coverage and handles practically the whole western U.S. now.

Thank you,
Bob