• Welcome to Intercity Airways Discussion Forums.

logging haywire [Merged]

Started by Gert Visser, Sep 06, 2021 20:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
Something strange is happening logging flights in MSFS.
If you look at my last fligts from august, you'll observe in the graph the route and altitude and speed are doing strange things.
Even the time below the graph is off!!
I don't know if this behavior is due to a broken msfs since wu5.
But before august evrything went ok with logging.
Maybe the data transmission via Acars is broken or something??
I thought you would like to know.

Sincerely yours, (plagued by CTD's in MSFS)

Gert

Chris Hulme (1003)

Id suggest it is MSFS breaking ACARS, I haven't tested it with MSFS but assumed it would work fine.
As long as your flights logging correctly for now, I can look into the issue with the graph.

Just had a quick look, and the other reports are all filing fine just seems to be yours from MSFS!

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris, problem has been solved.
Igt a lot of ctd's. Some smart person discovered tese were caused by a dll file from capture one.
Renaming this rogue dll solved the ctd's and also the strange logging graph.
I made aflight today and the graph was ok!!
It was strange however that the ctd's started right after WU5 in msfs; they changed the code and caused this dll from anothe program to be loaded.........
Might be ofinterest to other pilots experiencing ctd's and also using capture one.
You will see a lot more reprts by me now!!

greetings,

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
I have been reviewing my acars logs in MSFS.
Maybe you know, there has been a lot of criticism on WU5 and 6 in MSFS; due to making the sim playable on the xbox, a lot of anomalies and bugs have been introduced.
Before WU5 the logging of acars was good (before last august): I think it sampled a report from the sim consisting of airspeed, altitude and ground level. Samples were taken every minute or so, resulting in a nice graph of the flight.
After wu5 the sampling frequency has gone way down.
On my last flights it sampled only every 15 or 20 minutes, resulting in a graph not usable for flight analysis.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is this something you can amend in ACARS?
2. Do you observe this only with MY flights in MSFS, or is it the case in all MSFS flight reports?
Greetings,

Gert

Chris Hulme (1003)

Hi Gurt,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been busy with work this week!
The sample rate for data in ACARS has not changed and is the same as it has always been. I've had a quick look through the flight reports and its not easy to tell MSFS apart from P3D/FSX etc as we don't record the sim used, however it does appear that it is only your reports that have this issue. The ACARS pulls the data straight from the sim and records what it reads, so I would assume that this error is something to do with MSFS and the version you are running as other reports seem to be OK. I haven't had chance to test ACARS in MSFS, however I do know it works. I will see if I can look into this more and do some testing my end.

Chris

Quote from: Gert Visser on Sep 14, 2021 18:17
Hi Chris,
I have been reviewing my acars logs in MSFS.
Maybe you know, there has been a lot of criticism on WU5 and 6 in MSFS; due to making the sim playable on the xbox, a lot of anomalies and bugs have been introduced.
Before WU5 the logging of acars was good (before last august): I think it sampled a report from the sim consisting of airspeed, altitude and ground level. Samples were taken every minute or so, resulting in a nice graph of the flight.
After wu5 the sampling frequency has gone way down.
On my last flights it sampled only every 15 or 20 minutes, resulting in a graph not usable for flight analysis.
I have 2 questions:
1. Is this something you can amend in ACARS?
2. Do you observe this only with MY flights in MSFS, or is it the case in all MSFS flight reports?
Greetings,

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
I have flown some other flights.
It seems acars does only log a change of flight phase, e.g. taxi, climb, cruise.
Maybe there is something in the connectin between acars and msfs.
BTW, I use fsuipc7 paid version.
Plane was A320 FBW mod.
To make sure, I will also try a flight in the stock A320. Will report back.

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
Update report.
Have done flight in stock A320.
Logging with acars is all right!!
So, FBW a320 mod makes logging difficult.
I flew with development or experimental.
Will now try with standard version FBW mod.
FBW mod stable has same logging behavior als experimental and development.
So I dont know what to ask the fellows at FBW.
Before WU5 logging went ok. Afterwards only climb, cruise etc.
Can you tell me what I must ask of them?
I don't know wat acars does to obtain info.
I am not a programmer :(
Hop you can help.

Gert

Gert

Chris Hulme (1003)

Hi Gurt

I have downloaded the FBW A320 today and will have a look at how it runs with ACARS, you can ask away, the tracker uses FSUIPC and reads heading, altitude, vertical speed, aog, and the engine parameters

Chris

Quote from: Gert Visser on Sep 22, 2021 15:01
Hi Chris,
Update report.
Have done flight in stock A320.
Logging with acars is all right!!
So, FBW a320 mod makes logging difficult.
I flew with development or experimental.
Will now try with standard version FBW mod.
FBW mod stable has same logging behavior als experimental and development.
So I dont know what to ask the fellows at FBW.
Before WU5 logging went ok. Afterwards only climb, cruise etc.
Can you tell me what I must ask of them?
I don't know wat acars does to obtain info.
I am not a programmer :(
Hop you can help.

Gert

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
Thank you.
I will post a question at FBW support.

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
I asked the fbw folks on github and explained the different behavior.
I got this answer, maybe it helps.

Without knowing what parameters are read and expected by this tool it's difficult to do anything. There are some things that are now solved with custom variables, but airspeed, altitude, heading etc. is definitively still there and can be accessed (otherwise Volanta would not work at all).
What could be an issue is that maybe parking brake is not reflected in the default sim parameters (which would tell you possibly off and on block when combined with engine state). But the issue here is that with custom implementation of those systems the sim does not allow to set and reflect the values in the sim anymore.

Greetings,

Gert

Chris Hulme (1003)

Dim Lat As Offset(Of Long) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Long)(&H560)
    Dim Lon As Offset(Of Long) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Long)(&H568)
    Dim eng1flag As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H894)
    Dim eng2flag As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H92C)
    Dim VSr As Offset(Of Integer) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Integer)(&H2C8)
    Dim aog As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H366)
    Dim FSMin As Offset(Of Byte) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Byte)(&H23C)
    Dim FSHour As Offset(Of Byte) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Byte)(&H23B)
    Dim altitude As Offset(Of Long) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Long)(&H570)
    Dim ias As Offset(Of Integer) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Integer)(&H2BC)
    Dim tdr As Offset(Of Integer) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Integer)(&H30C)
    Dim hedg As Offset(Of Double) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Double)(&H2B00)
    Dim aircraftType As Offset(Of String) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of String)(&H3D00, 256)
    Dim parkbrake As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&HBC8)
    Dim prop1 As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H88E)
    Dim prop2 As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H926)
    Dim stall As Offset(Of Byte) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Byte)(&H36C)
    Dim slewmode As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H5DC)
    Dim overspeed As Offset(Of Byte) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Byte)(&H36D)
    Dim lgear As Offset(Of UInt32) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of UInt32)(&HBE8)
    Dim acfob As Offset(Of Int32) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Int32)(&H126C)
    Dim pause As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&H264)
    Dim simurate As Offset(Of Short) = New FSUIPC.Offset(Of Short)(&HC1A)

These are the variables we pull, if you want to show them?

Quote from: Gert Visser on Sep 23, 2021 14:55
Hi Chris,
I asked the fbw folks on github and explained the different behavior.
I got this answer, maybe it helps.

Without knowing what parameters are read and expected by this tool it's difficult to do anything. There are some things that are now solved with custom variables, but airspeed, altitude, heading etc. is definitively still there and can be accessed (otherwise Volanta would not work at all).
What could be an issue is that maybe parking brake is not reflected in the default sim parameters (which would tell you possibly off and on block when combined with engine state). But the issue here is that with custom implementation of those systems the sim does not allow to set and reflect the values in the sim anymore.

Greetings,

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
I will add this to my bug report on Github.
Hope they will be able to restore the possibility to pull these variables.
Will report back to you!

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Cris,
Got the following reactions on Github:

I wrote the ACARS program my pilots use that interfaces with FSUIPC. I don't recall the memory locations for payload information that it uses without checking the code, but will get this for you and post it. The payload information was readable from FSX and P3D and the latest FSUIPC7 for MSFS/fs2020. Not sure if the memory location changed with MSFS/fs2020 and was accounted for in the release of FSUIPC7, but I can check that out too. All I know is that it all worked until recently when the data recently stopped recording for A320NX but not the Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS. The field I display payload weight is not working but the payload capacity for the aircraft still displays along with the other sim data I record.
@sidnov
sidnov commented 7 hours ago •

I wrote the ACARS program my pilots use that interfaces with FSUIPC. I don't recall the memory locations for payload information that it uses without checking the code, but will get this for you and post it. The payload information was readable from FSX and P3D and the latest FSUIPC7 for MSFS/fs2020. Not sure if the memory location changed with MSFS/fs2020 and was accounted for in the release of FSUIPC7, but I can check that out too. All I know is that it all worked until recently when the data recently stopped recording for A320NX but not the Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS. The field I display payload weight is not working but the payload capacity for the aircraft still displays along with the other sim data I record.

That is because we have split the payload stations from Front/Rear Pax and Front/Rear Bag to a much more detailed loading model. There is also an update coming soon which will remove the Pilot and Co-pilot stations as these values should ideally be considered as a part of the operating empty weight.

The simvars remain same, the indexes have changed, not sure about how that affects the offsets.

For pax, the indexes are 1,2,3,4

I still think they are missing something.
Therefore I poster this:

Hi Jer029 and sidnov,
Thank you for reacting. I will pass your info on to the acars maker.
He experienced that his acars stopped receiving the data ONLY from the FBW A320 after WU4, data from stock A320 were pulled correctly.
So I think what has changed in the FBW mod after WU4 concerning the reading of certain data and receiving changes of status??

Hope it helps but I am afraid not....

Gert

Gert Visser (1391)

Hi Chris,
Just got this message from the FBW team:

We have to know what variables are checked by the ACARS software.
Please contact your software provider and ask for that information. Without it, we cannot do anything.
Let them know also that the list of variables and events we use is available here.

I think you gave me the list of variables? I posted that in the github bug forum.
If they mean something else, please provide and I will forward to them.

Gert

Chris Hulme (1003)

I will compile you a list when I get chance later on